2. Applicable Legislation Decree No. 57/2016, of 29th of August, which approved a regime of hiring of doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC). Labor Code, approved Law no. 7/2009, of February 12, under its current version. Financed by national funds through the FCT / MCTES and co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), namely under the following frameworks: “Projetos de Desenvolvimento e Implementação de Infraestruturas de Investigação inseridas no RNIE”; “Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização – POCI”, “Programa Operacional Centro2020”, and/or State Budget to develop work within the project n.º 030331, "Production of glucan-based particles towards selective delivery hepatitis B antigens to immune cells to induce antiviral activity".
3. The selection panel shall be: Chairman of the Jury: João Ramalho Santos, Jury Members: Olga Maria F. Borges, Armando Simões Carvalho, Maria Teresa Rosete e Maria do Céu Sousa (deputy).
4. Place of work: Research Extension at Polo III (Faculty of Pharmacy), Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, headquartered at University of Coimbra, Polo I
5. The monthly salary is set in accordance with the provisions in RJEC, article 15, no. 1, corresponding to level 33 of the single salary scale approved by Decree no. 1553-C/2008 of the 31st December, at 2,128.34 Euros gross.
6. Applicants may be Nationals, Foreign and Stateless candidates who hold a doctorate degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Health Sciences or related fields. Applicant should hold a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals a profile appropriate to the activity to be developed. In case of doctorate degrees awarded by a foreign higher education institution, the degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 341/2007 of 12th of October, and all formalities established therein must be fulfilled by the deadline for application submission.
7. General admission requirements: Degree of Doctor in Pharmacy or Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biosciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Biochemistry, and related fields. Excellent track record in his/her research area. Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written).
8. The selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific and curricular path of the candidates.
9. The selection of the PhD holder to be hired will be carried out through assessing the academic and curriculum vitae of the candidates. In general terms, this evaluation will concern relevance, quality and state of the art: a) of the scientific and technological production considered more relevant by the candidate; b) of his/her active role in R&D projects; c) of the activities regarding the extension and dissemination of knowledge carried out in the last five years, specifically in the context of promoting culture and scientific practices, considered of greatest importance by the candidates, related with the Position in the tender.
10. The tender has been opened for the Position described in the following paragraphs;
10.1. This position is designed to carry out a plan of research activities and dissemination of knowledge in the “Nanoparticulate adjuvant vaccine research line”, coordinated by Olga Maria Fernandes Borges, PhD under the R&D project entitled "Production of glucan-based particles towards selective delivery hepatitis B antigens to immune cells to induce antiviral activity", reference POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030331. As the epidemics of HIV, malaria, and tuberculosis retroceded, viral hepatitis became more evident as a leading killer worldwide. WHO estimates that, in 2015, infections with hepatitis B and C virus caused 1.34 million deaths worldwide, compared with 1.1 million deaths from HIV in same year. According to the same WHO report (http:// www.who.int/publications/10-year-review/hepatitis/en/) in 2015, 257 million people were living with chronic hepatitis B (CHB) infection. The hepatitis B epidemic affects parts of Africa and the Western Pacific most severely, where mother-to-child transmission is an important route of infection (1). However, with the increasing migratory trend from Africa and Asia to European countries, it is expected that the number of cases will increase in Europe in the coming years. Important to note that infection acquired at birth is more likely to result in chronic infection (1) and subsequent liver disease, like cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). The success of classical therapeutic intervention and the utility of the prophylactic vaccine on chronic hepatitis B are limited; so, immunotherapeutic strategies are now seriously considered. This project intends to develop an immunotherapy, based on nanotechnology, and test it in PBMCs from CHB patients. So, the objective of this project is to develop and test several polymeric nanoparticles (NPs) with vaccine adjuvant effect, to be tested with a DNA vaccine and with surface and core HBV antigens. Like an artificial virus, without genetic material. The NPs have the objective to selective delivery the antigens to target cells that will stimulate the immune system to fighting the virus inside liver hepatocytes. The Project have 4 main tasks, development of the NPs, tests with human cell lines, animal experimentation and finally, and more important, tests with blood cells from CHB donors. Therefore, two main teams will be working on this project, a team from the University that will develop the therapeutic vaccine and a team from the Hospital that will send the CHB blood samples and help with clinical analysis. Experience in nanotechnology, cell culture (cell lines and primary cell cultures like PBMC´s), laboratory techniques of biochemistry and immunology, experience in animal models, as well as knowledge in vaccinology.
11. The scientific and curricular career are target of evaluation criteria. The evaluation of the CV of the candidates, in particular the content of the scientific publication, the scientific merit and research capacity in the project area will be made according to the following criteria:
11.1 Integrated assessment of the curriculum trajectory of the candidate, based on an overview of his / her scientific and communication merits - 90% in total. The following items will be herein evaluated: 1) Content and quality of the scientific production published (as 1st author) by the candidate in international journals in the field of the project he/she is applying for – 40% (decomposed as: Number of publications; number of citations, and accumulated impact factor); 2) Researcher in national and international R&D projects within the scope of the project he / she is applying for - 40%; 3) Participation in activities of knowledge dissemination and exploitation – 10% 11.2 – Interview – 10%
12. The final classification system for candidates is expressed on a scale of 0 to 100.
13. The jury shall deliberate by means of a nominal vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published, and abstentions shall not be allowed.
14. The panel meetings will be documented in written minutes, containing a summary of what has taken place, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and their reasons, being provided to the candidates whenever requested.
15. After applying the selection criteria, the panel will prepare a sorted list of approved candidates with their classification.
16. The final decision of the jury is approved by the leader of the institution that is also in charge of deciding about hiring.
17. Formalization of the applications:
17.1 Applications are formalized by sending a letter addressed to the President of the Jury, stating this announcement identification, full name, parents’ names, number and date of identity card, Citizen Card, or civil identification number and date, taxpayer ID number, date and place of birth, marital status, occupation, residence and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
17.2. Applicant must clearly state to which position they are applying to.
17.3 The application shall include all supported documents encompassed by section 6 and 7 for admission to this competition, namely: a) Copy of certificate or diploma; B) Doctorate thesis; C) Detailed curriculum vitae, structured in accordance with items 10 and 11; D) Other documents relevant for the evaluation of the qualification in related scientific area; E) Brief description of the most relevant scientific activities of the last 5 years (max. 1 page), according to item 10 of this announcement.
17.4 Applicants should send their applications by post, to the address Centro de Neurociências e Biologia Celular, Departamento de Recursos Humanos, Rua Larga, FMUC, 1º Piso, Universidade de Coimbra, 3004-504 Coimbra, Portugal. The mail must be registered, with notice of receipt, issued until the last day of the deadline for opening the tender, which is set at 30 working days after publication of this call (14/11/2018).
18. All candidates who formalize their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements.
19. False statements by candidates shall be punished by law.
20. The list of admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final classification list are posted in CNC’s webpage at http://www.cnbc.pt/, and the applicants will be notified by email with receipt of delivery of the notification.
21. Preliminary Hearing and deadline for Final Decision: After notification of the results, the candidates have 10 working days to respond. In the next 2 working days, counted from the deadline for submitting complaints, the final decisions of the jury shall be published on the CNC's website: http://www.cnbc.pt/.
22. The present tender is exclusively destined to fill the vacancy indicated and may be terminated until the homologation of the final ranking list of candidates and expires with the respective occupation of the job on offer.
23. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: The CNC actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, beneficiary, disadvantaged or private of any right or exemption from any duty owing, in particular, to ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and trade union membership.
24. Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, the candidate with disability has a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma, on the application form.
25. Under the terms of the RU 2016/679 27/04/2016 and Law nº 67/98 26/10 the personal data collected by the entity is for recruitment purposes only. Personal data collected by the entity by means of this application are intended to assess whether candidates are suitable for the place requested and for the preliminary calculation of the remuneration, bonuses and perks of the candidates who are admitted to the recruitment. The data entered in the application are essential data in the weighting of the selection of candidates, which may affect the efficiency and the result of the respective application if the candidates do not provide them. Personal data of unsuitable candidates will be retained by the entity for a period of five years for subsequent recruitment. Applications for candidates may be transferred by the entity to its own premises or to the entities of the consortium where there are job openings during the abovementioned period. Candidates shall enjoy, in accordance with the law, the rights of access and rectification. For the exercise of the right of access, they must submit the request in writing to the person in charge of the entity.