1. Duration: The Fellowship will have the duration of 12 months, with the possibility of renewal for additional periods up to a maximum of 36 months and never exceeding the predicted end date of the project - 30.09.2021, and is expected to start on or after December 1st, 2018, in exclusiveness regime, as regulated by Lei n.º 40/2004, de 18 de Agosto, FCT (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica) and FCT Research Fellowship Regulations (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf), as well as the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation.
2. Subject of Activities:
Olfaction is dynamic and highly associative, and environmental contexts heavily influences olfactory experiences. In addition to odor discrimination, knowing what you have experienced before (odor recognition) is also critical for animals. We aim to bridge the gap between theory and neurophysiology to provide a mechanism for the encoding of context in olfaction.The fellow will perform neuro-anatomical and rodent animal behavioral experiments using state of the art techniques and work collaboratively within a team to study the associative features of olfaction and its neuronal bases.
This position will include a broad and evolving range of tasks, including:
- Rodent neurosurgery and neuro-anatomical experiments;
- Development of novel closed-looped rodent behavioral task;
- Fluorescence microscopy;
- Data analysis and management solutions.
3. Scientific Orientation: Dr. Cindy Poo
4. Selecting Criteria: Bachelors degree in Biology, Neuroscience, Psychology or similar, with a demonstrated ability for independent and creative research. Experience with animal/rodent research is required. Good English skills are essential.
5. Monthly Stipend: BTI stipend is 745 Euros as per FCT tables, I.P. Scientific Fellowships regulations for Portugal (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores) and the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation, to be paid by bank transfer in the last business day of each month.
6. Workplace: Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown
7. Application Documents: Applications can be sent by email, with subject “RT2018 POO YourLastName”, to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are also accepted in paper, sent or handed to the HR & Fellows Support Office at the Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, Avenida Brasília, 1400-038 Lisbon, Portugal.
8. Methods of selection: Selection methods shall be as follows: curriculum (70%) and motivation letter (30%). Evaluation based on the scale: Excellent (4), Good (3), Satisfactory (2), and Poor (0). In case of equally qualified candidates, interviews will be conducted and evaluations from previous supervisors will be considered, as well as a candidate’s perceived fit and potential contribution to the laboratory.
9. Jury Selection: Chairman: Cindy Poo Other members: Zachary Mainen, Niccolo Bonacchi
10. Notification of Results: The highest scoring candidate will be notified by email or telephone. All other candidates will be notified by email.
11. Application Period: From November 9thto December 10th 2018