Scientific area: Materials Science and Engineering
Requirement for applicants:
1) The applicant must be a holder of a Degree (Licenciatura) in Materials Science or Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or related areas, with classification not less than 12 marks, and with intention to attend the Master course in Materials Engineering (2nd cycle);
2) Demonstrated experience in synthesis techniques and basic materials characterization techniques (XRD, electron microscopy, thermal analyses) is required. An experience in high-temperature solid state (electro)chemistry and electrochemical characterization techniques is desirable.
3) Demonstrated experience in scientific research work in the last 5 years is required;
4) Proficiency in English is required; this will be assessed during an interview of selected candidates.
Work plan: The project CARBOSTEAM intends to demonstrate an innovative concept of solid oxide electrolysis cell (SOEC) using solid carbon as a depolarizing agent decreasing oxygen chemical potential at the electrode/electrolyte interface and minimizing the risk of delamination. The work program includes: i) synthesis of electrode materials; ii) preparation of electrode and electrolyte ceramic samples, structural characterization (XRD); iii) measurements of electrical conductivity and thermochemical expansion under typical operation conditions (temperature and atmosphere); iv) preparation of electrochemical cells with solid electrolyte and porous electrodes, electrochemical studies (polarization resistance and degradation under anodic polarization); v) post-mortem microstructural characterization (SEM/EDS); vi) preparation and tests of the cells using carbon as a depolarizer.
Legislation and regulations: The fellowship is in accordance with the Law Nº.40/2004, of 18th of August (Research Fellow Statute - https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/estatutobolseiro.phtml.pt); Regulations of Research Grants of the FCT, approved by Regulation nº 339/2015, of 17th of June of 2015 (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf); and the Regulation of Scientific Research Grants of the University of Aveiro – Regulation Nº.341/2011, published in Diário da República, 2nd series, Nº.98, of 20th of May.
Workplace: The work will be developed in the Department of Materials and Ceramic Engineering, CICECO – Aveiro Institute of Materials, University of Aveiro, under the supervision of Dr. Aleksey Yaremchenko.
Duration of the grant: The fellowship is for a period of 6 months, with provisional start date in January 2019, and can be renewed up to 21 months.
Value of monthly maintenance allowance: The financial support of the grant is 745 €/month, according to the official table for Research Grants from FCT (http://alfa.fct.mctes.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores), and voluntary social security, to be paid monthly via bank transfer.
Methods of selection:
The criteria for evaluation of applications will be:
1) Academic curriculum of the 1st cycle, in an appropriate area, in accordance with the admission requirements (25%);
2) Experience in synthesis techniques and basic characterization – XRD, electron microscopy, thermal analysis (25%);
3) Experience in electrochemical characterization techniques (25%);
4) Experience in scientific research work during the last 5 years (including participation in R&D projects, scientific publications, communications and the scientific conferences and meetings) (25%).
The jury reserves the right to ask for further clarification, which should be provided within 3 working days on the request. An interview may occur in case the jury considers it necessary.
The jury also reserves the right to reject all applicants for the position if the overall CVs are not sufficiently adjusted to the purpose or if candidates do not satisfy to criteria (total score < 50%).
President of Jury: Dr. Aleksey Yaremchenko.
Members of Jury: Dr. Andrei Kovalevsky, Prof. Dr. Jorge Frade.
Substitute member of Jury: Prof. Dr. Fernando Marques.
Form of advertising / notification of results: The final evaluation results will be publicized through a list (ordered according to the final grade obtained), by e-mail notification to all applicants.
Deadline for application form and submission of applications: The period for application is open from 7 to 20 of December 2018.
Applications must be formalized, mandatorily, by sending a letter of application and the following documents: Curriculum Vitae, copy of degree certificate, copies of publications (not compulsory).
Applications should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.