The BI will have the duration of 6 months, with the possibility of renewal for additional periods, and it is expected to start on or after 1st of March, 2019, in exclusiveness regime, as regulated by Lei n.º 40/2004, de 18 de Agosto, FCT (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica) and the FCT Research Fellowship Regulations, as well as the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation.
2. Subject of Activities:
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate to support and assist in the operation and services of the Animal Platforms of the Champalimaud Foundation under the scope of the Research Infrastructure Congento.
Duties and responsibilities of the appointed candidate may include:
· Animal routine husbandry and care activities, including Drosophila medium production;
· Maintenance and generation of Drosophila stocks
· Technical support in services provided by the CF Animal Platforms, including embryo microinjection for transgenic production, organ dissection and processing, Drosophila recombinants generation and screening and rodent assisted reproduction techniques
· Management of equipment and supplies of the CF Animal Platforms;
· Other tasks relevant for the maintenance and development of high scientific and animal welfare standards of the Animal Platforms of the Champalimaud Foundation and the services it provides to all users.
3. Scientific Orientation:
The successful candidate will integrate the Animal Platforms team of the Champalimaud Research Program and work under direct supervision of Isabel Campos.
4. Selecting Criteria:
Candidates must hold a MSc degree in Life Sciences.
Prior experience in the Drosophila model and in microinjection will be highly valued. Experience in Rodent models and participation in Laboratory Animal Science courses is valued but not mandatory.
The position requires the ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, organized and efficient. A careful eye for detail and strong logical skills are also required. Candidates must be able to communicate effectively in English.
5. Monthly Stipend: 980€ per month, as determined by FCT, I.P. for Advanced Training Studentships and Fellowships (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores.phtml.en). Potentially, this value can be increased with Champalimaud Foundation internal funds, according to experience and performance. The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer. The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme, can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme.
6. Application Documents: Motivation letter, Curriculum Vitae (both in English), degree certificates and contacts for references should be sent by e-mail with the subject: “Dros Congento Mar2019 YourLastName” to firstname.lastname@example.org or handed at the Champalimaud Centre for The Unknown, addressed to João Cruz.
7. Selection Method:
The candidate selection will fully observe all applicable legislation and will consist in the evaluation of the scientific and curricular backgrounds of the candidates, with particular attention given to the relevance, quality, actuality and adequacy of the aforementioned backgrounds, to be weighed as follows:
- motivation letter: 15%;
- curriculum vitae: 70%.
Evaluation scale: Each application shall be evaluated by the jury in a scale from 0% (not adequate) to 85% (excellent). Should there be a draw, candidates will be invited to interview (5%), reference letters shall be requested (5%) and it shall also by evaluated the perceived fit and potential contribution to the CONGENTO Research Infrastructure. (5%).
8. Jury Selection: Chairman: Isabel Campos, Ph.D. Other members: Joana Monteiro, Ph.D., Catarina Certal, Ph.D.
9. Form of advertising/notification of results: The highest scoring candidate will be notified by email or telephone. All other candidates will be notified by email.
10. Application Period: Applications will be accepted from the 31st January to the 13th of February, 2019.