1. At a meeting of the Board of Directors of ISPA, CRL, it was decided to open an international call for the recruitment of 1 PostDoctoral researcher to develop scientific research activities in the scientific field of Marine Biology , within an undefined term contract of employment, under the Project “FishNoise: Impact of anthropogenic noise on fish fitness" with the reference PTDC/BIA-BMA/29662/2017, funded by Investment and Structural European Funds (FEEI) – through ‘Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização’ and ‘Programa Operacional Regional de Lisboa’ and by National Funds through FCT.
2. Project description and work plan:
Marine traffic has increased unprecedentedly in recent decades presenting the most common and chronic source of ocean noise pollution. Fishes are of major biological, ecological and societal value with hearing range overlapping with boat noise frequencies. Yet, the impact of man-made noise on fish key life-history processes such as reproduction, development and survival is poorly known. The project will evaluate the effect of boat noise on reproductive success and early-life development and survival in two fishes that depend on vocal communication for reproduction, the meagre (Argyrossomus regius) and the Lusitanian toadfish (Halobatrachus didactylus). This study will investigate: (task 1) the influence of boat noise on meagre and toadfish calling behaviour, using real boat passages and playback experiments in the Tagus estuary; (tasks 2 and 3) boat noise impact on reproductive success in toadfish, as well as development and survival of eggs, larvae and juveniles in both species (most experiments will be field-based); (task 4) physiological stress responses in the different life stages. In addition, the project concepts and outputs with be widely disseminated (task 5). The successful candidate will be involved in all the project’s tasks. Task 1 will include the analysis of long-term acoustic data files.
3. Applicable Legislation:
· Decree Law nr. 57/2016, of August 29, amended by the Decree Law nr. 57/2017, of July 19, approved with the aim to stimulate the creation of jobs in science and technology, stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge and enhance scientific research activities, technological development, science management and communication (RJEC).
· Labour Code, approved Law nr. 7/2009, of February 12, on its current wording.
4. Jury Composition:
The jury will be composed by:
• President: Doctor Maria Clara Amorim
• Member: Doctor Paulo Fonseca
• Member: Doctor Ana Faria
• Alternative Jury Member: Doctor Bernardo Quintella
• Alternative Jury Member: Doctor Sara Novais
5. The place of work is located at ISPA-Instituto Universitário, Rua Jardim do Tabaco, 34. 1149-041 Lisbon, Portugal, Faculdade de Ciências, University of Lisbon, Campo Grande 016, 1749-016 Lisbon and/or other locations necessary for the execution of the work. Field work will be carried out in Montijo, Portugal.
6. The monthly remuneration to be attributed is that provided in paragraph 1 of article 15 from LAW 57/2016, of August 29, amended by Law 57/2017, of July 19, correspondent to level 33 of the single remuneration table (TRU), approved by Portaria nº 1553-C/2008, December 31, with the value of 2.128,34 Euros. The full-time employment contract is expected to start in March 2019 and will have an expected duration of 8 months, necessary for the completion of the tasks described in paragraph 2, which includes an initial trial period of 30 days.
7. The competition may be for national, foreign and stateless candidates who hold a PhD degree in the scientific field of Biology, Ecology, Marine/Aquatic Science, Bioinformatics or akin areas. Furthermore, they must be holders of a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals a profile appropriate to the activity to be developed. If the doctorate has been awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law nr. 341/2007, of October 12, and any formalities established there must be fulfilled until the expiration date for the application.
8. Specific requirements for admission to competition are:
- Applicants should have a Doctoral Degree in the scientific field of Biology, Ecology, Marine/Aquatic Science, BioInformatics or akin areas, and have specific skills and/or expertise in the fields of: Bioacoustics and/or Ecology, Conservation, and Marine Biology.
- Applicants should have proven experience in: marine bioacoustics and/or marine biology; field work, namely with fish; publications in international scientific journals in English; other forms of scientific dissemination, including to the general public.
- Preference is given to applicants with experience with R, MATLAB, bioacoustics software, eco-acoustics including the analysis of long-term acoustic data, experience in ecology, field work experience, good statistical skills.
9. Pursuant to article 5 from Law 57/2017, of August 29, amended by the Law 57/2017 of July 19, the selection of the candidates is made through the evaluation of their scientific and curricular achievements.
10. The evaluation of the scientific and curricular achievements will focus on the relevance, quality and timeliness of the scientific production and scientific activities carried out in the last five years, including those concerning the extension and dissemination of knowledge, considered by the candidate to be of greater relevance.
11. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be extended by the jury, upon request of the candidate, when justified on grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, in particular for reasons of parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work that are legally protected.
12. Evaluation criteria are:
a) Participation/experience in relevant scientific projects in the scientific fields relevant to the project - 30%;
b) Scientific publications in the scientific fields relevant to the project - 30 %;
c) Pedagogical and outreach activities, in particular in the context of promoting scientific practices, organization of courses, seminars and conferences, in the scientific fields relevant to the project - 15 %;
d) Assessment of references and motivation letter provided by the candidate - 15 %;
e) Interview, if deemed necessary by the jury - 10%.
13. The evaluation process may include an interview to the top 3 eligible candidates with the highest score according to the selection criteria which is meant to further clarify their research and share information about their background.
14. The final classification system of the candidates is expressed in a scale of 0-100.
15. The jury shall deliberate by means of a roll-call vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published, and abstentions are not allowed.
16. Minutes of the meetings of the jury are drawn up containing a summary of what has taken place in them together with an ordered list of approved candidates with their respective classification according to eligibility and selection criteria. which are made available to the candidates upon request.
17. The final decision of the jury will be approved by the President of the Board of Directors of ISPA, CRL.
18. Formalization of applications:
18.1 Applications should be formalized through a written request to the Board of Directors of ISPA, stating the identification of this notice, full name, filiation, Citizenship / Civil Identification Number, Expiry date of ID Card, Tax Identification Number, date and place of birth, marital status, profession, residence and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
18.2 The application shall be accompanied by support documents including those proving the conditions laid down in items 8 and 9 , and required for admission to this competition, namely:
a) Copy of PhD certificate or diploma;
b) PhD thesis, or link to published PhD thesis;
c) Detailed curriculum vitae, structured in accordance with items 9 and 11;
d) Other documents relevant for the evaluation of the qualification in related scientific area, including a motivation letter;
e) Description of the most relevant scientific activities from the past five years (max 1 page), according to paragraph 2 from article 5 from Law 57/2016, of August 29, amended by Law 57/2017 of July 19 and point 9 of this document.
18.3 Applications should be submitted by sending the application and supporting documents, digitally in PDF format, to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org (CC email@example.com) from the 18th of January until the 12th of February of 2019.
19. Candidates who formalize their application incorrectly or who do not meet the specific requirements for this competition will be excluded from admission to the competition. The jury has the power to ask any candidate, in case of doubt, to submit extra documents proving his/her statements.
20. False statements by candidates shall be punished by law.
21. The final results of the evaluation will be provided in a list with the ordered rankings of the candidates and posted in a visible and public place at ISPA-Instituto Universitário. All candidates will be notified via email.
22. Prior hearing and deadline for the Final Decision: Pursuant to article 121 of the Code of Administrative Procedure, after being notified, the candidates have 10 working days to appeal. Within a period of up to 90 days from the deadline for submission of applications, the final decisions of the jury are given.
23. The present competition is exclusively intended to fill in the vacancies indicated and may be terminated until the final list of candidates is approved and expired with their respective occupation of the job on offer.
24. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: ISPA, CRL actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, disadvantaged or deprived of any right or exemption from any duty due to, in particular, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs, and trade union membership.
25. Under the terms of DL No. 29/2001, of February 3, candidates with disability have a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of incapacity, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma, on the application form.