1. Duration: The BIs will have the duration of 6 months, with the possibility of renewal for additional periods, and it is expected to start on or after 1st of March, 2019, in exclusiveness regime, as regulated by Lei n.º 40/2004, de 18 de Agosto, FCT (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica) and the FCT Research Fellowship Regulations, as well as the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation.
2. Subject of Activities:
We are seeking two highly motivated candidates to support and assist in the operation and services of the Vivarium of the Champalimaud Foundation, in particular colony management and genotyping.
Duties and responsibilities may include:
· Rodent care and husbandry routine procedures;
· Rodent colony management including breedings, weanings and cage usage management
· Rodent genotyping including sample collection, DNA extraction, primer design, PCRs and result analysis
· Maintenance of accurate databases of animal procedures and usage
· Other tasks relevant for the maintenance and development of high scientific and animal welfare standards of the Vivarium of the Champalimaud Foundation and the services it provides to all users.
3. Scientific Orientation:
The successful candidates will integrate the CF Rodents Platform and work under direct supervision of Isabel Campos.
4. Selecting Criteria:
Candidates must hold a MSc in Life Sciences. Having a personal animal experimentation license and prior experience in a rodent facility/research environment is most preferable. Proven experience in similar tasks will also be valued.
These are fulltime positions with occasional periods of high demand, requiring effective time management.
Postholder will be asked to prioritize efficiently and multitask, without compromising attention to detail.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, organized, efficient, science-driven and a team worker.
A careful eye for detail and strong logical skills are also required. Candidates must be able to communicate in English.
5. Monthly Stipend: 980€ per month, as determined by FCT, I.P. for Advanced Training Studentships and Fellowships. Potentially, this value can be increased with Champalimaud Foundation internal funds, according to experience and performance. The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer. The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme, can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme.
6. Application Documents: Motivation letter, Curriculum Vitae (both in English), degree certificates and contacts for references should be sent by e-mail with the subject: “Rodents Congento Mar2019 YourLastName” to firstname.lastname@example.org or handed at the Champalimaud Centre for The Unknown, addressed to João Cruz.
7. Selection Method:
The candidates’ selection will fully observe all applicable legislation and will consist in the evaluation of the scientific and curricular backgrounds of the candidates, with particular attention given to the relevance, quality, actuality and adequacy of the aforementioned backgrounds, to be weighed as follows:
- motivation letter: 15%;
- curriculum vitae: 70%.
Evaluation scale: Each application shall be evaluated by the jury in a scale from 0% (not adequate) to 85% (excellent). Should there be a draw, candidates will be invited to interview (5%), reference letters shall be requested (5%) and it shall also by evaluated the perceived fit and potential contribution to the CONGENTO Research Infrastructure. (5%).
8. Jury Selection: Chairman: Isabel Campos, Ph.D. Other members: Joana Monteiro, Ph.D., Catarina Certal, Ph.D.
9. Form of advertising/notification of results: The 2 highest scoring candidates will be notified by email or telephone. All other candidates will be notified by email.
10. Application Period: Applications will be accepted from the 31st January to the 13th of February, 2019.