ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE OPENING OF AN INTERNATIONAL SELECTION TENDER PROCEDURE FOR INVESTIGATOR HIRING PURSUANT
DECREE-LAW NO. 57/2016 OF 29 AUGUST
Aviso (extrato) n.º 1321/2019 (2ª série), de 22 de janeiro
1. By decision of the Professor Ana Maria Costa Freitas, Rector of the University of Évora, in December 19th 2018, it was deliberated to is open an international selection tender for one vacancy of investigator for the exercise of scientific research activities in the scientific area of Biological Sciences in a fixed-term public service work contract regime with the duration of three years as a researcher in the area of Biodiversity and Climate Change., as part of the project AdaptAlentejo – Predicting Ecosystem Responses to Climate Change (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030793). Project description: AdaptAlentejo will investigate the consequences of changes in aquatic food-webs on ecosystems services, particularly greenhouse-gas emissions. This project combines multiple disciplines (physiology, biogeochemistry, geophysics) and state-of-art tools (metagenomics, ecological networks, carbon flux measurements). Specific objectives include: (1) Quantify species’ physiological responses to increasing temperatures; (2) Quantify energy flows within aquatic food webs; (3) Test ecosystem-level responses using biodiversity surveys; experimental mesocosms (i.e. IberianPond Network) and whole-ecosystem (i.e. reservoirs) manipulations. AdaptAlentejo will use the Guadiana basin (Portugal), and one of Europe’s largest artificial water reservoir networks – Alqueva – as a case study. AdaptAlentejo brings together an international interdisciplinary team coordinated by an early-career ecologist, Miguel Matias, with experience in theoretical, empirical and experimental approaches in aquatic biodiversity research and, Miguel B. Araújo a leading expert in biodiversity modelling and climate change.
The applicant may be in charge of teaching hours up to a maximum of 4 hours a week, in the units that will be distributed.
2. Applicable Legislation: Decree-Law no. 57/2016, 29th August, amended by Law No. 57/2017 of 19th July, which approved the doctorate hiring regime aimed at stimulating scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (RJEC). General Public Service Labour Law (LTFP), approved in annex to Law no. 35/2014 of 20th June, under its current wording.
3. Pursuant to article 16 of Decree-Law no. 57/2016 of 29 August, this tender procedure shall be exempt from the authorization given by the Government members in charge for Finances and Public Administration, namely the authorization mentioned on no. 3 of article no. 7 of LTFP; and from obtaining a prior favourable opinion from said Government members, mentioned on no. 5 of article no. 30 of LTFP, and the recruitment process for workers in a requalification position, mentioned on article no 265 of LTFP.
4. Pursuant to article no. 13 of RJEC, the tender selection panel shall be formed by:
President: Dr. Miguel Bastos Araújo, Universidade de Évora.
Dr. Frederico Mestre, Universidade de Évora;
Dr. Pedro Raposeiro, Universidade dos Açores;
Dr. Miguel Matias, Museo Nacional de Ciências Naturales-CSIC;
5. Workplace shall be at the Biodiversity Chair – Universidade de Évora
6. Monthly remuneration to be paid is the remuneration corresponding to level 33 of the Single Salary Table, approved by Order no. 1553-C/2008 of December 31st, i.e. 2128,34 Euros.
7. Can apply to the tender any national, foreign and stateless candidate(s) who hold a doctorate degree in Biology, Environmental Sciences, Biochemistry, Computational Biology, Mathematics or Physics and have a scientific and professional curriculum that fits one of the suitable profiles required to achieve the proposed objectives, namely:
-Aquatic ecologist profile: Experience with biodiversity surveys of aquatic food webs (fish, zooplankton and macroinvertebrates) and measurement of carbon emissions (CO2, CH4). Additional experience on electrofishing and/or gut content analysis also welcomed;
-Molecular Ecologist profile: Experience with molecular approaches (i.e. Environmental DNA to conduct and analyze data from biodiversity surveys and/or gut content analysis;
-Theoretical / Computational ecologist profile: Experience with theoretical/computational approaches to model changes in aquatic food-webs. Background in Physics/Mathematics would be considered if candidate has previous experience with modelling food webs;
Please note that the profiles outline above serve as examples, but any combination of these skills would be highly rated. Other key items to be considered include:
-Track-record in the recruitment and supervision of MSc students
-A minimum of 2 years of experience as post-doctoral researcher is preferred
-English as a first or second language is required.
- Driving license.
In the event the doctorate degree has been awarded by a foreign higher education institution, said degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 341/2007 of 12 October, and all formalities established therein must be complied with at the application deadline.
8. General tender admission requirements are those set by article 17 of LTFP and special requirements set by the previous section.
9. Pursuant to article 5 of RJEC, selection is to be made based on candidate scientific and curricular career evaluation.
10. Scientific and curricular career evaluation focuses on relevance of:
a) scientific and technological production in the last five years, particulary in topics relevant for the workplan of the project.
b) research activities developed in the last five years, deemed most impactful by the candidate;
c) knowledge dissemination activities developed in the last five years.
d) leadership and management roles in research related activities (i.e. research grants, scientific societies, conferences).
11. The five-year period mentioned above can be extended by the panel, if requested by the candidate, whenever the suspension of scientific activities is reasoned by socially protected grounds like paternity leave, long-term serious illness, and other legal situations of unavailability to work.
12. General evaluation criteria are:
a) Scientific performance in the last five years,
b) Research activities developed in the last 5 years,
c) Activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed in the last five years,
d) Other relevant activities,
e) Interview of the top ranked candidates, by determination of the jury.
In the application of the mentioned criteria, the following parameters and weighting factors shall be evaluated:
Criterion a) with a weighting factor of 50%, which comprises
a1) Publications in scientific journals,
a2) Book chapters with ISBN.
Criterion b) with a weighting factor of 20%, which comprises
b1) Research Experience,
b2) Postgraduate Experience.
Criterion c) with a weighting factor of 20%, which comprises
c1) knowledge Transfer and Technology Experience
c2) Organization of conferences,
c3) experience in student supervision and participation as thesis examiner.
Criterion d) with 5% weighting factor.
Criterion e) Interview with weighting factor that can go up to a 5% increase in global weighting.
In all cases it will be given relevance to indicators and activities related to research on the topic of Biodiversity and Climate Change, as decribed referred to in point 1.
13. Candidate final classification system shall be given based on a scale of 0 to 100.
14. The panel shall deliberate by means of roll-call vote justified under adopted and disclosed selection criteria, with no abstentions allowed.
15. Minutes of panel meetings shall be executed and shall include a summary of all occurrences of said meeting, as well as of all votes cast by the members and respective reasoning, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
16. After selection criteria application, the panel shall prepare a sorted list of approved candidates and respective classification.
17. Panel’s final decision shall be validated by the leader of the institution, who is also in charge of deciding about the hiring.
18. Application formalization:
- Applications are formalised upon application file, made available on the electronic page of Administrative Services of the University http://sadm.uevora.pt, sent to the President of the Jury, including announcement identification (Refª CatBio-01), full name, parents’ names, ID card, or Citizen Card number and date, or civil identification number, taxpayer ID number, date and place of birth, marital status, occupation, residence and contact address, including email address and telephone.
- Applications shall include all supported documents encompassed by section 7 and 8 for tender admission, namely:
a) Certificate or diploma copy;
b) Doctorate thesis;
c) Curriculum vitae, detailed and structured pursuant to sections 10 and 12;
d) Other documentation
- Candidates shall submit their application files and supporting documentation, preferably in a digital form, in PDF format, via email email@example.com, in person at Universidade de Évora – Divisão de Recursos Humanos (DRH), Serviços Administrativos, Largo da Sr.ª da Natividade, Apartado 94, 7002-554 Évora, Portugal, during working hours, or by mail to the address. When submitted by mail, applications must be sent by registered mail with acknowledgement of receipt sent until the last day of application deadline, which is hereby set as the period of 30 working days after the publication of this Announcement.
19. All candidates who formalise their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements.
20. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
21. Both admitted and excluded candidate list and final classification list will be affixed at the website of http://www.sadm.uevora.pt and all candidates shall be notified by email with delivery receipt.
22. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: Pursuant to article 121 of the Administrative Procedure Code, after notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. Panel’s final decisions are pronounced within a period of 90 days, from application deadline.
23. This tender is exclusively destined to fill this specify vacancy and can be terminated at any time until approval of final candidate list, expiring with the respective occupation of said vacancy.
24. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: The University of Évora, actively promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
25. Pursuant to Decree-Law no. 29/2001 of 3 February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication/expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
January 7th 2019 – The Administrator of the University of Évora, Maria Cesaltina Frade