1. At a meeting of the Board of Directors of ISPA, CRL, it was decided to open an international call for the recruitment of 1 PostDoctoral researcher to develop scientific research activities in the scientific field of Marine Biology , within an undefined term contract of employment, under the Project “Impact of climate change on the ecology and dynamics of small pelagic fish" with the references LISBOA-01-0145-FEDER-032209 and PTDC/BIA-BMA/32209/2017, funded by Investment and Structural European Funds (FEEI) – through ‘Programa Operacional Regional de Lisboa’ and by National Funds through FCT.
2. Applicable Legislation:
· Decree Law nr. 57/2016, of August 29, amended by the Decree Law nr. 57/2017, of July 19, approved with the aim to stimulate the creation of jobs in science and technology, stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge and enhance scientific research activities, technological development, science management and communication (RJEC).
· Labour Code, approved Law nr. 7/2009, of February 12, on its current wording.
3. Jury Composition:
The jury will be composed by:
• President: Doctor Gonçalo Jorge Franco Silva
• Member: Doctor Emanuel João Flores Gonçalves
• Member: Doctor Ana Margarida da Silva Faria
• Alternative Jury Member: Doctor Joana Isabel do Espírito Santo Robalo
• Alternative Jury Member: Doctor Frederico José Oliveira de Almada
4. The place of work is located at ISPA-Instituto Universitário, Rua Jardim do Tabaco, 34. 1149-041 Lisbon, Portugal, and at IPMA- Instituto Português do Mar e da Atmosfera, Rua Alfredo Magalhães Ramalho, 6, 1495-006 Lisbon and it might be necessary to carry out work at Estação Piloto de Piscicultura de Olhão (EPPO), in Algarve.
5. The monthly remuneration to be attributed is that provided in paragraph 1 of article 15 from LAW 57/2016, of August 29, amended by Law 57/2017, of July 19, correspondent to level 33 of the single remuneration table (TRU), approved by Portaria nº 1553-C/2008, December 31, with the value of 2.128,34 Euros.
6. The competition may be for national, foreign and stateless candidates who hold a PhD degree in the scientific field of Biological Sciences, Computation Sciences or akin areas. Furthermore, they must be holders of a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals a profile appropriate to the activity to be developed. If the doctorate has been awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law nr. 341/2007, of October 12, and any formalities established there must be fulfilled until the expiration date for the application.
7. Requirements for admission to competition are:
General: Doctoral degree in Biological Sciences, Computation Sciences, Bioinformatics or akin areas. Candidates with a Doctoral Degree in a different scientific field than the aforementioned, but with proven experience in ecological niches modelling will be taken into consideration.
Specific: The candidate must hold a doctoral degree (mandatory) preferably in biological sciences, computation sciences or akin areas (optional) and must have previous experience in ecological niches modelling in marine environment through mechanistic and/or correlative methods. The candidate must have a record of publications of merit in one of the areas aforementioned, in particular, on ecological niche modelling in marine environment and as a first author. The candidate must have advanced knowledge of programming in R and/Python. It is also valued experience in scientific outreach for different target audiences, in project management and in the submission of research projects to funding mechanisms.
8. Pursuant to article 5 from Law 57/2016, of August 29, amended by the Law 57/2017 of July 19, the selection of the candidates is made through the evaluation of their scientific and curricular achievements.
9. The evaluation of the scientific and curricular achievements will focus on the relevance, quality and timeliness of the scientific production and scientific activities carried out in the last five years, including those concerning the extension and dissemination of knowledge, considered by the candidate to be of greater relevance.
10. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be extended by the jury, upon request of the candidate, when justified on grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, in particular for reasons of parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work that are legally protected.
11. Evaluation criteria are:
a) Proven work experience in the research field correspondent to the position, in particular in ecological niche modelling; (50%);
b) Variety and quality of scientific indicators, including relevant publications articles, books and book chapters in the scientific field correspondent to the position (40%);
c) Interview (10%);
12. The evaluation process may include an interview to the top 3 eligible candidates with the highest score according to the selection criteria which is meant to further clarify their research and share information about their background.
13. The final classification system of the candidates is expressed in a scale of 0-100.
14. The jury shall deliberate by means of a roll-call vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published, and abstentions are not allowed.
15. Minutes of the meetings of the jury are drawn up containing a summary of what has taken place in them, together with an ordered list of approved candidates with their respective classification according to eligibility and selection criteria, which are made available to the candidates upon request.
16. The final decision of the jury will be approved by the President of the Board of Directors of ISPA, CRL.
17. Formalization of applications:
17.1 Applications should be formalized through a written request to the Board of Directors of ISPA, stating the identification of this notice, full name, filiation, Citizenship / Civil Identification Number, Expiry date of ID Card, Tax Identification Number, date and place of birth, marital status, profession, residence and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
17.2 The application shall be accompanied by support documents including those proving the conditions laid down in items 7 and 9 , and required for admission to this competition, namely:
a) Copy of PhD certificate or diploma;
b) PhD thesis, or link to published PhD thesis;
c) Detailed curriculum vitae;
d) Other documents relevant for the evaluation of the qualification in related scientific area, including a motivation letter;
e) Description of the most relevant scientific activities from the past five years (max 1 page), according to paragraph 2 from article 5 from Law 57/2016, of August 29, amended by Law 57/2017 of July 19 and item 9 of this document.
f) Copy or access link to 3 scientific publications that the candidate considers of greater relevance.
17.3 Applications should be submitted by sending the application and supporting documents, digitally in PDF format, to the e-mail address email@example.com (CC firstname.lastname@example.org) from the 1st of February until the 22nd of February of 2019.
18. Candidates who formalize their application incorrectly or who do not meet the specific requirements for this competition will be excluded from admission to the competition. The jury has the power to ask any candidate, in case of doubt, to submit extra documents proving his/her statements.
19. False statements by candidates shall be punished by law.
20. The final results of the evaluation will be provided in a list with the ordered rankings of the candidates and posted in a visible and public place at ISPA-Instituto Universitário. All candidates will be notified via email.
21. Prior hearing and deadline for the Final Decision: Pursuant to article 121 of the Code of Administrative Procedure, after being notified, the candidates have 10 working days to appeal. Within a period of up to 90 days from the deadline for submission of applications, the final decisions of the jury are given.
22. The present competition is exclusively intended to fill in the vacancies indicated and may be terminated until the final list of candidates is approved and expired with their respective occupation of the job on offer.
23. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: ISPA, CRL actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, disadvantaged or deprived of any right or exemption from any duty due to, in particular, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs, and trade union membership.
24. Under the terms of DL No. 29/2001, of February 3, candidates with disability have a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of incapacity, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma, on the application form.