Scientific area: Materials Science and Engineering
Requirement for applicants:
1) The applicant must be a holder of a PhD Degree in Materials Science or Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or other relevant areas related to the work program;
2) The applicant must be an author or co-author of articles published in Science Citation Index (SCI) journals and related to the work program;
3) Demonstrated research experience in the following topics during the last 3 years:
- materials for high temperature solid state electrochemical cells (solid oxide fuel cells, solid oxide electrolysis cells);
- thermoelectric oxide materials based on zinc oxide;
4) Proficiency in English is required.
Work program: The project is aimed at the development and characterization of oxide materials for high-temperature electrochemical, electrocatalytic and thermoelectric applications and technologies. The work plan will include:
1) Preparation of complex oxides with perovskite-related and zircon-type structures, their detailed structural, microstructural and spectroscopic characterization, studies of electrical properties, oxygen nonstoichiometry, stability and redox behavior, electrochemical characterization (electrode activity, ionic transport);
2) Preparation of dense ceramic membranes based of perovskite-type mixed conductors, surface modification employing hydrothermal treatment, and studies of electrochemical oxygen permeation.
3) Preparation and characterisation of novel thermoelectric materials based on transition metal oxides.
Legislation and regulations: Law no. 40/2004, of 18 August (Statute of the Scientific Research Fellow) in the wording in force on the date of the entry into force of Decree-Law No. 123/2019, of 28 August, in light of the transitional rule of article 4. Of the latter law; Foundation for Science and Technology Research Fellowship Regulations (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2018.pdf) and the University of Aveiro Science Research Fellowships Regulation - Regulation No. 341/2011, published in Diário da República, 2nd Series, No. 98, of May 20th. ”
Workplace: The work will be developed in the Department of Materials and Ceramic Engineering, CICECO – Aveiro Institute of Materials, University of Aveiro, under the supervision of Dr. Aleksey Yaremchenko, Dr. Andrei Kavaleuski and Prof. Jorge Frade.
Duration of the grant: The fellowship is for a period of 6 months, with provisional start date on 1st of January of 2020, and can be renewed up to 12 months.
Value of monthly maintenance allowance: The financial support of the grant is 1509.80 €/month, according to the official table for Research Grants from the FCT (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores), and voluntary social security, to be paid monthly via bank transfer.
Methods of selection:
The criteria for evaluation of applications will be:
1) Scientific publications in relevant areas (25%);
2) Research experience in characterization of oxide ceramic materials for high-temperature electrochemical, (electro) catalytic and thermoelectric applications (45%);
3) Research experience on other topics and experimental techniques relevant for the work program (15%);
4) Other experience in scientific research work (including participation in R&D projects, communications at the scientific conferences and meetings, supervision and teaching experience, etc.) (15%).
The jury reserves the right to ask for further clarification or information, which should be provided within 3 working days on the request. An interview may occur in case the jury considers it necessary.
The jury also reserves the right to reject all applicants for the position if the overall CVs are not sufficiently adjusted to the purpose or if the candidates do not satisfy to criteria (total score < 50%).
President of Jury: Dr. Aleksey Yaremchenko.
Members of Jury: Dr. Andrei Kavaleuski, Prof. Dr. Jorge Frade.
Substitute member of Jury: Prof. Dr. Fernando Marques.
Form of advertising / notification of results: The final evaluation results will be publicized through a list (ordered according to the final grade obtained), by e-mail notification to all applicants.
Deadline for application form and submission of applications: The period for application is open from 31 of October to 14 of November of 2019.
Applications must be formalized, mandatorily, by sending a letter of application and the following documents: Curriculum Vitae and a copy of PhD degree certificate.
Applications should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.