The CEB-UM < www.ceb.uminho.pt > is part of the IBB - Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering a R&D unit ("Laboratório Associado"), founded in October 2006 aiming to be a strategic infrastructure for the development of the Portuguese R&D and innovation policies in the areas of Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Biomaterials and Life, Biomedical and Agricultural Sciences.
The activities associated with development and application of Systems Biology tools to R&D in Biotechnology at CEB-UM cover 3 main vectors:
- Integration of information obtained from genome sequencing projects in metabolic and biological engineering projects;
- Development and application of algorithms to the treatment and interpretation of data resulting from the application of genome-scale analytical techniques and subsequent development of rational metabolic engineering strategies;
- Development and application of algorithms to support technologies and projects in molecular biology.
The candidate should have:
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Biochemical Engineering or Computer Science;
- Extensive knowledge on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, including several applications and techniques like database search, sequence analysis, construction and simulation of biological models and high-throughput data integration and analysis;
- Programming skills in Perl and/or Java and in R and/or MATLAB.
Applicants should also display evidence of managerial skills, independent research and significant scientific accomplishments. The successful candidate should have a strong publication record and propose an innovative research project relevant to the Research Unit that he/she wants to integrate.
To apply, please send your complete CV (with photo), in English, a covering letter (1 page A4) outlining the qualifications, skills and experience in relation to this position, two reference letters, as well as other information considered relevant.
All the elements should be sent to the “CEB - Centro de Engenharia Biológica” to the following e-mail address: Dr. Eugénio Ferreira - firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 29th of May, 2008.