ERA Chair in Environmental Metagenomics: InBio – Research Network in Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology, Portugal
Applications are open for a Chair in Environmental Metagenomics (Reference ICETA 2017-32) to be hosted by CIBIO-InBIO - Research Network in Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology, University of Porto (Portugal). The Chair position will be contracted in the scope of the project “EnvMetaGen – Capacity Building at InBIO for Research and Innovation Using Environmental Metagenomics” (Reference Nº 668981), funded by the European Commission under the call H2020-WIDESPREAD-2014-2, and that will run until August 31st 2020. The project aims to expand the research and innovation potential of InBIO, supporting emerging research lines in environmental metagenomics for applications in biodiversity surveys, invasive species control, ecosystem services assessment, and environmental (bio)monitoring. The ERA Chair holder will have a leading role in the development of the project, coordinating the research and support team selected in the early stages of the project, as well as the scientific, networking and capacity building actions of the project along the lines established in the grant agreement.
CIBIO-InBIO is a young and highly dynamic research centre located near Porto, in Northern Portugal, which conducts world-class research in the fields of biodiversity and evolution. It is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits. The Centre offers great opportunities for multidisciplinary research and hosts 20 research groups, which include over 160 PhD level researchers, and over 100 MSc and PhD students, from across the world. The Centre has state of the art ecology and molecular laboratories and conducts research projects at a global scale. The working language of the institute is English, and it offers a vibrant, multicultural and enthusiastic working atmosphere. In addition, the Northern region of Portugal provides rich cultural and outdoor activities and Porto is a UNESCO world-heritage city and the capital of Port wine.
· Internationally Leading or Established Researcher in environmental metagenomics or closely related fields of research – preference will be given to senior researchers (with > 10 years of post-doctoral research experience); less experienced candidates may also be considered in light of her/his contributions to the research field;
· Proven experience in: managing research teams; supervising graduate students; and in operating with key international funding agencies allowing securing research funding.
· With an established international and cross-disciplinary collaborative network;
· Preference will be given to applicants with experience in the use of metagenomic approaches to address research questions in one or more of the following areas: (i) Biodiversity surveys and assessment; (ii) Environmental biomonitoring; and (iii) Assembling and analysing food webs.
Exceptional research and technical conditions will be offered to the appointed Chair, including:
· Initial appointment for up to three years;
· Internationally competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience;
· A team of researchers and technical support staff, including a project manager, a knowledge transfer and dissemination officer, three post-doc researchers and two lab technicians;
· Substantial travel budget for training, conference attendance and networking;
· Access to fully equipped genetics and genomic labs, at the CIBIO-InBIO facilities.
Applicants should submit:
· Detailed Curriculum Vitae;
· The three most important research papers;
· A brief (2-pages) statement of research interests.
Applications should be submitted by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference ICETA 2017-32. The call for applications is open between 01/09/2017 to 01/10/2017.
The EnvMetaGen project is available upon request to the same mail address.
Candidates will be evaluated by an international selection panel. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
ICETA – Instituto de Ciências, Tecnologias e Agroambiente da Universidade do Porto (ICETA-UP), on behalf of CIBIO-InBIO.
CIBIO-InBIO, Campus Agrário de Vairão, Rua Padre Armando Quintas, 4485-661 Vairão, Portugal (Coordinates: N41.328940, W8.672635).