|Texto do anúncio
- General scientific field: Engineering
- Specific scientific field: Electrical and Computer Engineering, Informatics Engineering, Computer Science and related fields.
- Admission Requirements: Academic Master degree or equivalent academic qualifications (or equivalent 2nd cycle complete) in the area of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Informatics Engineering, Computer Science and related fields. These are preferential conditions for the evaluation of candidates: i) Knowledge in Machine Learning and Signal Processing techniques. ii) Knowledge in C and/or C++ programming. iii) Knowledge in high-level programming languages (R, Python, Matlab, etc.) and Databases. iv) Familiarized with development of Firmware. v) Proficiency in English and excellent communication skills and teamwork.
- Work Plan: The Grant Holder will perform research activities within the Symbiotic technology for societal efficiency gains: Deux Ex Machina project (DeM), in the Eyes of the Internet of Things Competence Center (EIT-CC) [Reference NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-000026]. The successful applicant will work under the following guidelines:
4.1 Abstract: Within the scope of the EIT-CC, the successful candidate will carry out their work in the DeM subproject “Location awareness platform”. DEMLOC will shape a group of experts in finding and tracking people, animals or objects, aiming to increase the capabilities of existing products and potentiate the development of innovative new technologies. More specifically, this project will provide contextual awareness, enabling features which can assist people in their daily lives, increase the efficiency of professional environments and even potentiate the creation of immersive games and entertainment applications. The outcomes of DEMLOC will constitute as building blocks of the Companion Competence Center (C3), providing a foundation to support the remaining DeM-related activities, in particular those that require localization and context awareness, such as ambient assisted living, big data analytics, datasets annotation, and recommendation models parameterization.
4.2 Tasks: The grant holder will work on the following tasks: 1) Improve existing localization algorithms, focusing on exploiting and merging data extracted from common smartphones; 2) Extract meaningful information from data collected by large amounts of users, resorting to data mining and machine learning techniques; 3) Implement and adapt localization algorithms to embedded platforms, such as small wearable sensor hubs, to either perform independently or complement more elaborate and capable devices like smartphones; 4) Create elucidative reports and comprehensive test routines for the developed tasks.
4.3. Objectives and expected results: The main objective of this work is to create and improve algorithms that will be part of a software library which can be integrated in third party mobile applications. These algorithms should be able to improve localization accuracy, reduce computational costs and battery consumption, and minimize third party integration efforts.
4.4. Candidate profile: This scholarship is targeted to engineers interested in starting a career as a Machine Learning Engineer. Previous experience with machine learning and data mining are preferential. Interest in the development of firmware is also a plus. The candidate must be able to work autonomously and must have excellent English communication skills. Previous working experience on relevant areas will be highly regarded.
- Applicable law and regulation: Portuguese Statute of the Scientific Research Scholarship Holder [“Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica”], approved by Law no. 40/2004, of August 18, amended by Decree Law no. 202/2012, of August 27, Law no. 12/2013, of January 29 and Decree Law no. 89/2013, of July 9 (hereinafter referred to as the “Statute”), and the Research Scholarships’ Regulation of Associação Fraunhofer Portugal Research (hereinafter referred to as the “Regulation”).
- Place of work: Portugal AICOS, Porto, Portugal, under the scientific supervision of MSc Lourenço Barbosa de Castro
- Scholarship’s Duration and Regime: The scholarship shall have the duration of 6 months, eventually renewable for equal periods of time or until the term of the project, with estimated starting date on October, 2017, according to article 11 of the Regulation and article 3 of the Statute, under exclusivity regime, except for the exceptions expressly set out in nos. 3 and 4 of article 5 of the referred Statute.
- Amount of the monthly maintenance allowance: The amount of the scholarship corresponds to € 980, as per table of amounts of the scholarships of Associação Fraunhofer Portugal Research, (http://www.fraunhofer.pt/en/fraunhofer_aicos/education_and_training/research_grants.html).
The payment of the scholarship shall be made on a monthly basis, by wire transfer.
- Selection Procedures: The selection procedures to be used shall be made on the basis of the following parameters: A – Curriculum evaluation in accordance with the objectives of the project ; B - Average obtained in graduation Degree; C – Experience in research works;
The following percentage weighting shall be given to the selection parameters: 0,4 x A + 0,3 x B + 0,3 x C.
- Composition of the selection panel: Chairman: Doctor Filipe Cruz Gomes Soares; Permanent Members: Doctor Maria João Vasconcelos and Doctor Waldir Aranha Moreira Júnior.
- Publication/notification of the results: The final evaluation results shall be published in a list ordered by final score, posted in a visible and public place at Fraunhofer Portugal. The approved applicant shall be notified by e-mail.
- Opening period of the call: The call is open from 28-09-2017 to 12-10-2017.
- Documents and deadlines for application: Applications must be submitted by means of an application letter with the following documents: Curriculum Vitae, required qualifications’ certificate and other evidencing documents deemed relevant.
Applications should be delivered during the call’s opening period either in person, from 10:00 a.m. to 05:00 p.m., at Fraunhofer Portugal – AICOS’ reception; OR sent by registered mail with acknowledgement receipt to the address indicated below; or sent by e-mail with acknowledgement receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org, in pdf format, until 11:59 p.m. of October 12, 2017.
Address for purposes of sending applications:
Fraunhofer Portugal - EDIFICIO CENTRAL
Rua Alfredo Allen, 455/461, 4200-135 Porto, Portugal