Grant recipients need to meet the requirements of paragraph. 1 of Article 30. Decree-Law No. 74/2006, of 24 March, as amended by Decree-Law No. 107/2008, of June 25, and 230/2009 of 14 September. The duration of the scholarship is annual, renewable up to a maximum of four years. It can not be awarded for periods of less than three consecutive months. All applicants for these scholarships must have previously applied, or apply soon, for admission to the edition of the Doctoral Programme FCT MAP-i for the 2017/2018 school year. Applications to MAP-i follow the procedures detailed in http://www.map.edu.pt/i
- nationals or citizens of other member states of the European Union;
- citizens of third States, holders of valid residence permit or beneficiaries of the status of long-term resident, pursuant to the Law nr. 23/2007 of July 4, amended by Law nr. 29/2012, of August 9;
- citizens of third states with which Portugal has entered into reciprocal agreements;
- citizens of third states, which are considered selectable after an individual interview.
- At the date of application, candidates shall provide proof of being holder of the necessary academic degree to enter in a cycle of studies conducting to PhD academic degree. Academic degrees obtained abroad will only be accepted upon recognition of the Portuguese Higher Education Directorate or a Portuguese public Higher Education institution, in compliance with the provisions of the applicable legislation on the recognition of foreign qualifications, namely in Decree-Law no 341/2007 of 12 October and Decree-Law 283/83 of 21 June.
- Not have already benefited from fellowships of the same type as those put out to tender, if these were directly financed by FCT, irrespective of its duration.
2. APPLICATION SCHEDULE
Applications are open between the 29-11-2017 until 15-12-2017.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the following reference in the subject:“FEUP-FCT-MAP-i.
The application must include the following components:
- letter of application addressed to the Director of the MAP-I programme, in which the candidate declares awareness and acceptance of the rules in the Regulamento de Bolsas de Investigação da FCT, IP;
- Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated;
- certificate of qualification (photocopy) with explicit mention of final degree classification, corresponding percentile, and classifications per course;
- three recommendation letters;
- statement of purpose (motivation letter);
- any other documents the candidate may consider relevant to the assessment of merit mentioned in the curriculum vitae.
Applications should follow the instructions available at the programme’s website (http://www.map.edu.pt/i).
Since applying for a grant implies that the candidate is also applying for the MAP-i programme, and given the fact that the documents supporting both applications are the same, the documentation supporting the grant application will be obtained from the elements submitted in the MAP-i application process. Recommendation letters should be sent directly by their respective authors to the email address of the programme’s executive board, email@example.com.
Candidates can also explicitly express their interest for this grant application to be made available to other grant offers from research projects associated with the Doctoral Programme MAP-i, allowing documentation access to the researchers responsible for these research projects.
The evaluation of applications is made by a jury appointed by the MAP-i Scientific Committee at its meeting on the 26th of September, involving 12 professors of the Universidade do Minho, Universidade de Aveiro and Universidade do Porto, four per each University, coordinated by the MAP-i Director, Professor Gabriel de Sousa Torcato David. The following 12 professors were appointed to this jury: João Álvaro Brandão Soares de Carvalho, José Manuel Esgalhado Valença, Jorge Miguel de Matos Sousa Pinto, Paulo Manuel Martins Carvalho, Joaquim Arnaldo Martins, Maria Beatriz Alves de Sousa Santos, António Sousa Pereira, Paulo Jorge dos Santos Gonçalves Ferreira, António Beça Gonçalves Porto, Eugénio da Costa Oliveira, Fernando Manuel Augusto da Silva, Gabriel de Sousa Torcato David.
The jury will assess the merit and produce an ordered list of candidates based on the criteria described in the “Regulamento para Atribuição de Bolsas de Doutoramento no âmbito do Programa de Doutoral FCT MAP-I” available in the MAP-i official website (http://www.map.edu.pt/i).
The evaluation will have two components, distributed in two phases.
The first phase is a document analysis, following the evaluation rules fixed in the “Regulamento para Atribuição de Bolsas de Doutoramento no âmbito do Programa de Doutoral FCT MAP-I”. Such rules classify each candidate from 1 (minimum) to 5 (maximum) in the following three criteria:
i) merit of the candidate evaluated through his curriculum vitae (with weight 6), supported by documentary university records certifying the accomplished final classifications for both first and second cycle degrees, and any publications or other elements the candidate may consider relevant for curricular assessment;
ii) merit of the candidate evaluated through analysis of three letters of recommendation (with weight 1);
iii) merit of the candidate evaluated through a statement of purpose on his objectives and motivation (with weight 3).
The second phase consists of an interview, in person or remotely, for the best 10 candidates who achieved a classification equal or above 3.5 in the first phase.
The final grading will be the weighted average of the final classification in both phases (document analysis: 60%, and interview: 40%).
5. RESULTS ANNOUNCEMENT
The results of the selection process will be communicated by letter and via email to all candidates, using the email address associated with the grant application, and made public in the MAP-i website.
In case of a negative decision on the requested scholarship, the applicant has a period of 10 days after disclosure, to be heard in a preliminary hearing, pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Code.
The following final decision made by the Scientific Committee, may be appealed within 15 working days after the respective announcement.
The scholarships awarded under this call for proposals will be financed by funds from the State Budget of the Ministry of Education and Science and, where eligible, from European Social Fund funds through the Operational Programs for the 2014-2020 programming period of Portugal 2020, Operational Program of Human Capital, the North Regional Operational Program, in accordance with the provisions of the applicable Specific Regulation.
All missing aspects from this Notice of Opening will follow the Regulamento de Bolsas de Investigação Cientifica da FCT, I.P available at: