3. The selection panel shall be: Chairman of the Jury: João Ramalho Santos, Jury Members: Cláudia Pereira, Nuno Madeira, Sandra Morais Cardoso e Maria Teresa Rosete (alternate juror).
4. Place of work: Polo I, Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, headquartered at University of Coimbra, Polo I
5. The monthly salary is set in accordance with the provisions in RJEC, article 15, no. 1, corresponding to level 33 of the single salary scale approved by Decree no. 1553-C/2008 of the 31st December, at 2,128.34 Euros gross.
6. Applicants may be Nationals, Foreign and Stateless candidates who hold a doctorate degree in Biosciences, Medical and Health Sciences and/or Engineering and Technology, and related fields. Applicant should hold a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals a profile appropriate to the activity to be developed. In case of doctorate degrees awarded by a foreign higher education institution, the degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 341/2007 of 12th of October, and all formalities established therein must be fulfilled by the deadline for application submission.
7. General admission requirements: Degree of Doctor in Biosciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biology, Biochemistry, and related fields. Excellent track record in his/her research area. Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written).
8. The selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific and curricular path of the candidates.
9. The selection of the PhD holder to be hired will be carried out through assessing the academic and curriculum vitae of the candidates. In general terms, this evaluation will concern relevance, quality and state of the art: a) of the scientific and technological production considered more relevant by the candidate; b) of his/her active role in R&D projects; c) of the activities regarding the extension and dissemination of knowledge carried out in the last five years, specifically in the context of promoting culture and scientific practices, considered of greatest importance by the candidates, related with the Position in the tender.
10. The tender has been opened for the Position described in the following paragraphs; 10.1. This position is designed to carry out a plan of research activities and dissemination of knowledge in the 'Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) Stress Response and ER-Mitochondria Axis’, coordinated by Cláudia Maria Fragão Pereira, PhD, (http://www.cnbc.pt/research/department_group_show.asp?iddep=1138&idgrp=1142&lg=2), integrated in the project ‘The ups and downs of cellular stress: the “MAM hypothesis” for Bipolar disorder pathophysiology’. Mental health problems constitute the largest single source of world economic burden, with an estimated global cost greater than cardiovascular disease, cancer or diabetes individually. In European Union mental disorders alone affect 165 million people, at a cost of €118 billion, and these sums are expected to rise as a result of Europe's ageing population. Bipolar disorder (BD) is a chronic mental illness characterized by mood swings between depression and mania resulting in cognitive and functional impairments that require lifetime treatment. Even with proper use of current pharmacological treatments, most patients continue to have recurrent mood episodes, residual symptoms, functional impairment, psychosocial disability with high rates of divorce, unemployment, drug abuse and suicide attempting, and significant medical comorbidities such as obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. Polypharmacy is common in BD due to the lack of effective therapies and delayed diagnosis/misdiagnosis is frequent because of the absence of biomarkers. Therefore, a better understanding of BD pathophysiology is a prerequisite for the design of new drugs and their implementation in clinical practice as well as to develop biomarkers that help in a more accurate and earlier diagnosis and/or to evaluate therapeutics response. Given that BD may be intimately associated with chronic stress response and coping mechanisms over the illness course, it has been proposed that impairment of cellular resilience strategies developed by cells to cope with stress plays a key role in BD. Recent evidences uncovered that the junction between the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) and mitochondria, called "Mitochondria-Associated Membranes" (MAMs), are relevant for stress-related responses. The proposal MAM4BD is aimed to provide scientific evidence to support the original "MAM hypothesis" for BD pathophysiology, which considers that compromised ER-mitochondria communication at MAMs diminishes cellular resilience and that targeting these specific contacts can lead to novel treatment and diagnostic tools, which will be addressed using patient-derived cells from pre-clinical and early disease stages (fibroblasts and cybrids). The specific objectives are to: 1) Explore ER stress responses and ER-mitochondria crosstalk; 2) Study alterations of MAM's structural and functional phenotypes and test the protective effect of pharmacological activation of MAM-resident chaperones; 3) Prevalidate MAM-targeted therapeutic strategies in patient-derived induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) differentiated in neurons recapitulating pathologic alterations. MAM4BD relies on the collaboration between psychiatrists motivated for translational research leaded by an internationally recognized expert in the field of mood disorders (http://www.uc.pt/fmuc/pm) and basic researchers at CNC (http://www.cnbc.pt/) with know-how on the investigation of degenerative molecular mechanisms implicated in brain disorders. Experience in cell culture, laboratory techniques of biochemistry and cellular biology, as well as knowledge in neurosciences focusing the cellular stress response will be valued.
11. The scientific and curricular career are target of evaluation criteria. The evaluation of the CV of the candidates, in particular the content of the scientific publication, the scientific merit and research capacity in the project area will be made according to the following criteria:
11.1 Integrated assessment of the curriculum trajectory of the candidate, based on an overview of his / her scientific and communication merits - 90% in total. The following items will be herein evaluated: 1) Content and quality of the scientific production published by the candidate in international journals in the field of the project he / she is applying for – 40% (decomposed as: Number of publications; number of citations, and accumulated impact factor); 2) Researcher in national and international R&D projects within the scope of the project he / she is applying for - 40%; 3) Participation in activities of knowledge dissemination and exploitation – 10%
11.2 – Interview – 10% 12. The final classification system for candidates is expressed on a scale of 0 to 100.
13. The jury shall deliberate by means of a nominal vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published, and abstentions shall not be allowed.
14. The panel meetings will be documented in written minutes, containing a summary of what has taken place, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and their reasons, being provided to the candidates whenever requested.
15. After applying the selection criteria, the panel will prepare a sorted list of approved candidates with their classification.
16. The final decision of the jury is approved by the leader of the institution that is also in charge of deciding about hiring.
17. Formalization of the applications:
17.1 Applications are formalized by sending a letter addressed to the President of the Jury, stating this announcement identification, full name, parents’ names, number and date of identity card, Citizen Card, or civil identification number and date, taxpayer ID number, date and place of birth, marital status, occupation, residence and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
17.2. Applicant must clearly state to which position they are applying to.
17.3 The application shall include all supported documents encompassed by section 6 and 7 for admission to this competition, namely:
a) Copy of certificate or diploma; B) Doctorate thesis; C) Detailed curriculum vitae, structured in accordance with items 10 and 11; D) Other documents relevant for the evaluation of the qualification in related scientific area; E) Brief description of the most relevant scientific activities of the last 5 years (max. 1 page), according to item 10 of this announcement.
17.4 Applicants should send their applications by post, to the address Centro de Neurociências e Biologia Celular, Departamento de Recursos Humanos, Rua Larga, FMUC, 1º Piso, Universidade de Coimbra, 3004-504 Coimbra, Portugal. The mail must be registered, with notice of receipt, issued until the last day of the deadline for opening the tender, which is set at 30 working days after publication of this call. (30/11/2018).
18. All candidates who formalize their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements.
19. False statements by candidates shall be punished by law.
20. The list of admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final classification list are posted in CNC’s webpage at http://www.cnbc.pt/, and the applicants will be notified by email with receipt of delivery of the notification.
21. Preliminary Hearing and deadline for Final Decision: After notification of the results, the candidates have 10 working days to respond. In the next 2 working days, counted from the deadline for submitting complaints, the final decisions of the jury shall be published on the CNC's website: http://www.cnbc.pt/.
22. The present tender is exclusively destined to fill the vacancy indicated and may be terminated until the homologation of the final ranking list of candidates and expires with the respective occupation of the job on offer.
23. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: The CNC actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, beneficiary, disadvantaged or private of any right or exemption from any duty owing, in particular, to ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and trade union membership.
24. Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, the candidate with disability has a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma, on the application form. 25. Under the terms of the RU 2016/679 27/04/2016 and Law nº 67/98 26/10 the personal data collected by the entity is for recruitment purposes only. Personal data collected by the entity by means of this application are intended to assess whether candidates are suitable for the place requested and for the preliminary calculation of the remuneration, bonuses and perks of the candidates who are admitted to the recruitment. The data entered in the application are essential data in the weighting of the selection of candidates, which may affect the efficiency and the result of the respective application if the candidates do not provide them. Personal data of unsuitable candidates will be retained by the entity for a period of five years for subsequent recruitment. Applications for candidates may be transferred by the entity to its own premises or to the entities of the consortium where there are job openings during the abovementioned period. Candidates shall enjoy, in accordance with the law, the rights of access and rectification. For the exercise of the right of access, they must submit the request in writing to the person in charge of the entity.