International tender procedure for hiring a PhD for a research project (PTDC/SOC-SOC/30734/2017) pursuant to Decree-Law No. 57/2016, from August 29th, amended by Law No. 57/2017 from July 19th.
Notice - José João Baltazar Mendes, Chairman of the Board of CESEM is hereby communicating a 15-day public tender, from november, 22th , 2018 to December, 12th, 2018, which is an international tender for one (1) entry level PhD for research in the scientific area of Sociology at Centro de Investigação Interdisciplinar Egas Moniz (CiiEM), in Egas Moniz-Cooperativa de Ensino Superior, CRL, within the scope of the project with reference PTDC/SOC-SOC/30734/2017 funded by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P. by means of national funding in the framework of Project 3599 - Promover a Produção Científica, o Desenvolvimento Tecnológico e a Inovação (Promoting Scientific Production, Technological Development, and Innovation).
This tender procedure is a result of the decision of Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) to fund the project ‘Pharmaceuticals and dietary supplements in performance consumptions: social practices, contexts, and literacy’ (PTDC/SOC-SOC/30734/2017), which foresees the hiring of a PhD for the purpose of scientific research.
According to Article 6 of Decree-Law No. 57/2016, this hiring shall be carried out as per uncertain term employment contract pursuant to the Portuguese Labour Code. This tender exclusively aims at filling the aforementioned position and may be terminated before the final sorting list for applicants has been approved, and shall expire after the position in the tender has been filled.
I. Applicable legislation
1) This tender is governed by the provisions in Decree-Law No. 57/2016, from August 29th, as amended by Law No. 57/2017 from July 19th, which approves a regime for hiring PhDs that aims at increasing scientific and technological employment in all fields of knowledge (Legal Framework of Scientific Employment), by Implementing Decree No. 11-A/2017 from December 29th, which establishes contractual levels of wages, and the Labour Code approved by Law No. 7/2009, from February 12th, as currently worded.
2) This tender is open pursuant to Article 20 of the Portuguese Legal Framework of Scientific Employment and in compliance with the private-public partnership agreement signed by FCT and ISCTE-IUL governing the funding, and by Egas Moniz, crl, and Instituto de Sociologia da Universidade do Porto (Oporto University Sociology Institute) as joint promoters.
The workplace is located at Egas Moniz, crl, University Campus, Quinta da Granja, 2829 - 511 Monte de Caparica, Almada.
The monthly income shall correspond to level 33 of the single figure table of remuneration approved by Ministerial Directive No. 1553-C/2008, from December 31st, resulting in the gross income of €2.128,34.
IV. Position details
The position in the tender aims at developing scientific research activities in the subject-matter of health sociology and recent social uses for medication. The selected researcher will participate in every research and data dissemination steps. In this context, the following activities stand out: (i) exploratory approach to the empirical field (task 2); (ii) participation in the undertaking of Focus Groups and data treatment (task3); (iii) participation in the undertaking of Surveys and data treatment (task4); (iv) participation in the undertaking of interviews and content analysis (task 5). According timeline
V. Tender requirements
1) National, foreign, and stateless applicants may enter the tender as long as they are PhDs with a scientific and professional curriculum revealing a suitable profile for the activity to be carried out.
2) The following are present tender requirements: a) PhD in Sociology or any other area of Social Sciences. b) Proven experience in taking part in research projects. c) Proven experience in using qualitative and quantitative data collection and processing methodologies. d) Being fluent in Portuguese and in English.
VI. Formalising applications
1) Applications are formalised by means of a requirement addressed to the Chairman of the Board of Egas Moniz, crl, requesting that their application be accepted, which ought to include the tender that is the subject of their application, the position to which they are applying, and identification of the applicant by means of their full name, identity card or Citizen Card number and date, or Passport number, date of birth, contact address and residence – including e-mail address –, and phone number. Applicants ought to give consent to communications and notifications on their requirement within the scope of the tender procedures taking place by means of their e-mail address, which they shall provide.
2) Applications shall be submitted along with the following documents: a) Document proving that the applicant is a PhD. In the case of PhD titles obtained overseas, applicants ought to provide a document proving that this is recognised by a Portuguese institution of higher education pursuant to Decree-Law No. 341/2007, from October 12th, where all concerned formalities shall be fulfilled by the end date for submitting applications. b) Cover letter with a maximum of 750 words containing the following: i) identification of the relevant activities for this tender, which have been carried out over the past three years; ii) reasons why the applicant is suitable for the activities foreseen in the project. c) An electronic copy (PDF) of their CV. d) Two academic/professional recomendation letters.
3) Applications may be submitted in Portuguese or in English and sent by post or in person during normal working hours, or e-mailed to empregocientífico@egasmoniz.edu.pt with the following reference in the Subject – Concurso_Doutorado_MEDLIT until the limit date on this notice.
4) Applicants who formalise their application incorrectly or do not submit proof of requirements shall be excluded from this tender. The selection panel shall be responsible for requiring documents that prove the statements of applicants when in doubt.
5) False statements provided by applicants shall be punished according to the law.
VII. Selection criteria
1) According to Article 5 of Decree-Law No. 57/2016 applicants shall be selected based on an assessment of their scientific and curricular journey.
2) Scientific and curricular journeys shall be assessed based on the relevance, quality, and timeliness of the scientific contributions of applicants within the fields mentioned in item 5, where the following shall be considered: a) Scientific production – reports, articles, and other production indicators – considered as the most relevant by applicants within the scope of this tender; b) Research activities carried out and considered by applicants as having the most impact within the scope of this tender; c) Management support activities of scientific, technological and innovation projects.
VIII. Selection methods
1) The selection method used is: a) curricular assessment and b) interview.
2) The assessment criteria adopted are as follows: a) Relevant scientific production within the scope of this tender (40%). This criterion shall take into consideration scientific publications – articles in indexed scientific magazines, books, book chapters, working papers with scientific reviews, and minutes from science meetings –, conference communications, and national and international scientific event organisations. b) Research activities that have resorted to the methodologies required within the scope of this tender (50%). c) Extension and dissemination of knowledge carried out over the past three years (10%), particularly: promoting and monitoring scientific practices and culture, and disclosing knowledge and research findings for academic and non-academic audiences.
3) The selection panel carries out a curricular assessment of applicants in compliance with the adopted criteria using a whole scale between 0 and 100, where the final classification shall be the average of all the marks given by each element in the selection panel.
The top ten applicants shall be considered as accepted based on absolute merit while the others shall be excluded from the tender due to the selection panel deeming them as not having a suitable scientific and professional curriculum for the concerned position. The top ten applicants in the curricular assessment shall be called for an interview.
X. Final sorting and classification
The final sorting shall be a result of the weighted average of the assessments obtained with the different selection methods – 90% curricular assessment and 10% interview. The interview shall take into account the same curricular assessment criteria described in 2. a) and b), with a maximum duration of 20 minutes, after which the selection panel shall make a list of all accepted applicants and their marks.
Xl. Hearing for interested parties
1) Taking into consideration the list of accepted and non-accepted applicants as well as the final sorting list and classification of applicants, a hearing shall take place for those interested pursuant to Article 121 and Article 122 of the Portuguese Code of Administrative Procedure, for which purpose all interested parties shall be notified by e-mail and it shall also be publicised on the Egas Moniz, crl website.
2) Applicants may look up this tender procedure on the Human Resources Department as indicated on the notification mentioned above.
XII. The selection panel
In compliance with Article 13 of Decree-Law No. 57/2016, the selection panel shall be formed by Mr. José João Baltazar Mendes, Associate Professor and Chairman of the Board of Egas Moniz, Mr. David Tavares, Coordinating Professor at ESTSeL and Researcher at CIES/ISCTE-IUL, Ms. Ana Isabel Fernandes, Associate Professor at Egas Moniz, Researcher at CiiEM, and Researcher Partly Responsible for the Project, and Ms. Noémia Lopes, Associate Professor at Egas Moniz, Researcher at CIES/ISCTE-IUL and CiiEM, and Researcher Responsible for the Project.
XIII. Equal access and non-discrimination policy
Egas Moniz actively promotes an equal access and non-discrimination policy, for which reason no applicant ought to have preferential treatment, benefit, be damaged, or deprived of any right, or exempt from duties because of their ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family circumstances, economic status, education, origin or social status, genetic heritage, reduced workload, disability, chronic disease, nationality, race or ethnicity, region of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs, and union membership.
XIV. Pursuant to Decree-Law No. 29/2001, from February 3rd, applicants with disabilities shall be given preference in terms of equal classification, which shall prevail over any other legal preference. Applicants shall declare on their honour on the application form their level of incapacity, type of disability, and the means of communication/expression that ought to be used in the process of selection pursuant to the aforementioned diploma.
Egas Moniz, CRL (CESEM), November 15th, 2018, the Chairman, José João Baltazar Mendes