1. The board of CEsA-CSG/ISEG-ULisboa deliberated the opening of an international selection tender for one doctorate vacancy to perform duties of scientific research in the field of Political Science, Sociologyu or related fields, under an undefined work contract regime pursuant to the Labour Code, for the maximum duration of six years, based on the execution of a specific service, precisely defined and not lasting, pursuant to the dispositions of article 6 numbers 1 a) and 3 of Decree-Law number 57/2016 of 29th August, updated by the Law 57/2017, of 19th July and to the Labour Code, under its current reading. The R&D activities to be carried out will be part of the workplan for the project AID2GROWTH, with the reference PTDC/CPO-ADM/28597/2017, financed by Portuguese funds (FCT/OE) under the contract between the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P. and CEsA-CSG/ISEG-ULisboa. The project AID2GROWTH aims to analyse the European development finance institutions (DFIs) in a context of changing development cooperation policies (ODA) towards partnerships with the private sector. The project planned duration is 24 months starting on 01.10.2018.
2. Applicable Legislation:
a) Decree-Law no. 57/2016 of 29th August, which approved the doctorate hiring regime destined to stimulate scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (RJEC), with the amendments introduced by Law no. 57/2017 from 19th July, also considering the provisions of Regulatory Decree 11-A/2017, of 29th December;
b) Labour Code approved Law 7/2009 of 12th February, under its current reading.
3. Monthly remuneration to be paid is the remuneration set by article 15, number 1 of Decree-Law 57/2016 of 29th August and article 2, number 1 of Regulatory Decree 11-A/2017, of 29th December, corresponding to level 49 of the Single Salary Table, approved by Order 1553-C/2008 of 31st December, i.e. 2.952,21 Euros.
4. Workplace shall be at the facilities of CEsA-CSG/ISEG-ULisboa, in Lisbon, without prejudice to the necessary duty travels.
5. Any national, foreign and stateless candidate(s) for this job must meet the following requirements:
a) Hold a doctorate degree in degree in Political Science, Sociology or related fields and scientific and professional curriculum that fits the project activities. In the event the doctorate degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, the degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law 341/2007 of 12th October, and all formalities established therein must be complied within the application deadline;
b) Have a postdoctoral research experience compatible with the category of scientific research career corresponding to the defined remuneration level;
c) To be an experienced researcher in social processes, identities, migration processes, diaspora (discourses), mobilities and qualitative methodologies.
c) Demonstrate interest or research experience in the area of financialization of public policies in particular in the international development-related areas;
d) Proficiency in written and spoken English;
e) Proficiency in one or more relevant languages for the project (German or French) is a preferential factor;
f) Demonstrate good knowledge of qualitative and quantitative methodologies;
g) Previous professional research experience as a researcher on financialization of public policies is a preferential factor;
h) Previous experience as a member of a research team and good team-working skills.
6. Pursuant to article 5 of RJEC, the selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific and curricular path of the candidates and their suitability to the description of the position whose work plan foresees the fulfilment of the following tasks:
a) Contribute for the definition of the operationalization of the project´s goals in terms of the critical analysis of the contemporary transformation of finance for development, in particular the role played by European development finance institutions (DFIs), within an international political economy approach;
b) Contribute for the implementation of the several phases of the project, in particular the GDF Hub Data, Working Paper on Theory and Methodology and Working Papers on German and French DFI;
c) Contribute for the positive interaction of the project´s international research team;
d) Provide administrative support to the Principal Researcher in his interaction with the remaining research team and with FCT, the Portuguese national funding agency for science, research and technology;
e) Contribute for the implementation of information management and communication strategy;
f) Participation in international conferences and seminars with presentation of scientific papers resulting from the project;
g) Participation and support in the management of the project´s meetings;
h) Participation in the project´s publishing strategy, including reports, articles for academic journals, book chapters, etc;
i) Any other task that may reasonably arise, related to the full implementation of the project, and defined by the Principal Researcher.
7. The post-doctoral scientific and curricular career evaluation focuses on the suitability to the project, relevance, quality and timeliness:
a) of scientific production in the last five years, deemed most relevant by the candidate, in topics related to the research to be developed in the tender position;
b) of research activities developed in the last five years, deemed most impactful by the candidate;
c) of knowledge extension and dissemination activities developed in the last five years, namely under the scope of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, deemed most relevant by the candidate.
8. The five-year period mentioned above can be extended by the panel, if requested by the candidate, whenever the suspension of scientific activities is reasoned by socially protected grounds like paternity leave, long-term serious illness, and other legal situations of unavailability to work.
9. Evaluation criteria are the following:
9.1 Candidates who present skills, CV and/or experience out of the scope defined in points 1 and 5 will be excluded.
9.2 The evaluation of the scientific and curricular path focuses on the suitability to the project, relevance, quality and timeliness:
a) of the scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production of the last five years considered more relevant by the candidate and adequate to the project to be developed, which is given a weighting factor of 45%; in the analysis of scientific production is considered publication (articles, books, chapters of books and other publications) and participation in national and international academic meetings;
b) of research activities, including applied or practice-based research, developed over the past five years and considered to be of greatest impact by the applicant and relevant to the project to be developed, including participation in projects and networks and international partnerships, which is given a weighting factor of 35%;
c) of the activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed in the last five years, namely in the context of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, considered of greater relevance by the candidate, which is given a weighting factor of 20%.
9.3 The evaluation process may include an interview or a public presentation or demonstration session by all or a few candidates to clarify aspects related to their research and has a maximum weight of 10% of the total evaluation.
9.4 Candidates final classification system shall be given based on a scale of 1 to 5 up to the decimal place and results from the application of the above mentioned weightings.
10. In accordance with article 13 of the RJEC, the selection panel is composed as follows:
President: Prof. Doutor António Augusto da Ascenção Mendonça, CEsA-CSG / ISEG-ULisboa
Member: Luís Mah, CEsA-CSG / ISEG-ULisboa, CEsA-CSG / ISEG-ULisboa
Member: Soyeun Kim, Institute for East Asian Studies, Sogang University
Member: Emma Mawdsley, University of Cambridge.
11. The panel shall deliberate by means of roll-call vote justified under adopted and disclosed selection criteria, with no abstentions allowed. After selection criteria application, the panel shall prepare a sorted list of approved candidates and respective classification.
12. Minutes of panel meetings shall be executed and shall include a summary of all occurrences of said meeting, as well as of all votes casted by the members and respective reasoning, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
13. The jury reserves the right to not select applicants if the applicants do not have the adequate quality and profile in terms of absolute and relative merit.
14. Panel’s final decision shall be validated by the leader of the institution, who is also in charge of deciding about the hiring.
15. Application formalization:
15.1. Applications are formalized upon application letter, addressed to the President of CEsA-ISEG/ISEG-ULisboa, elaborating on the motivations for applying to the vacancy. The application letter should also contains the identification of this notice, full name, number and date of identity card, Citizen Card, or civil identification number, tax identification number, date and place of birth, occupation, address, e-mail and telephone number.
15.2. The application shall include all supported documents encompassed by section 5 for tender admission, namely:
a) Certificate(s) copy(ies);
b) PhD thesis or equivalent document(s) that determined the award of the academic degree;
c) Curriculum Vitae, detailed and structured according to section 9. The works that the candidate considers most relevant and that allow to evaluate their relevance, quality, timeliness and suitability should be marked and a copy should be added;
d) Other relevant documents to the analysis of the application.
15.3. Candidates shall submit their application files and supporting documentation, preferably in a digital form, in PDF format, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org ; in person at Rua Miguel Lupi, N.º 20, Office 503 – 1249-078 Lisboa, during working hours; or by mail to said address. When submitted by mail, applications must be sent by registered mail with receipt acknowledgement, sent until the last day of application deadline, which is hereby set as the period of 20 working days after the publication of this announcement. (Application deadline: 6 december 2018)
16. All candidates who formalize their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements.
17. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
18. Within a maximum period of 90 days from the application deadline, the panel´s final decisions are pronounced. All the candidates will be notified of the final selection decision by email with delivery receipt of the notification.
19. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline:
After notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond.
20. This tender is exclusively destined to fill this specific vacancy and can be terminated at any time until approval of final candidate list, expiring with the respective occupation of said vacancy.
21. Non-discrimination and equal access policy:
CEsA-ISEG/ISEG-ULisboa actively promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
22. Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, a disabled candidate has a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the above-mentioned diploma.