ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE OPENING OF AN INTERNATIONAL SELECTION TENDER PROCEDURE FOR INVESTIGATOR HIRING PURSUANT DECREE-LAW NO. 57/2016 OF 29 AUGUST
Aviso nº 19158/2018 (2ª série) de 20 de dezembro
1. By decision of the Professor Ana Maria Costa Freitas, Rector of the University of Évora, in November 30th 2018, it was deliberated to open an international selection tender for one vacancy of investigator for the exercise of scientific research activities in the scientific area of Earth Sciences in a fixed-term public service work contract regime with the duration of three years, for the performance of researcher functions in the project InCarbon – in situ carbonation for CO2 emissions reduction from power and industrial sources in Alentejo (PTDC/CTA-GEO/31853/2017) - specifically on geological storage of CO2, mineral carbonation and modelling of the CO2-water rock interaction.
The applicant may be in charge of teaching hours up to a maximum of 4 hours a week, in the units that will be distributed.
2. Applicable Legislation
Decree-Law no. 57/2016, 29th August, amended by Law No. 57/2017 of 19th July, which approved the doctorate hiring regime aimed at stimulating scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (RJEC). General Public Service Labour Law (LTFP), approved in annex to Law no. 35/2014 of 20th June, under its current wording.
3. Pursuant to article 16 of Decree-Law no. 57/2016 of 29 August, this tender procedure shall be exempt from the authorization given by the Government members in charge for Finances and Public Administration, namely the authorization mentioned on no. 3 of article no. 7 of LTFP; and from obtaining a prior favorable opinion from said Government members, mentioned on no. 5 of article no. 30 of LTFP, and the recruitment process for workers in a requalification position, mentioned on article no 265 of LTFP.
4. Pursuant to article no. 13 of RJEC, the tender selection panel shall be formed by:
President: Júlio Ferreira Carneiro, Principal Researcher of project INCARBON, Assistant Professor at the Geosciences Department, University of Évora;
Mário Abel Gonçalves, Assistant Professor at the Geology Department of the Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon;
Edgar Berrezueta Alvarado, Researcher at the Instituto Geológico y Minero de España, Department of Research in Geological Resources, Spain;
Jorge Manuel Costa Pedro, Assistant Professor at the Geosciences Department, University of Évora.
5. Workplace shall be at the University of Évora - in Instituto de Ciências da Terra (ICT)
6. Monthly remuneration to be paid is the remuneration corresponding to level 33 of the Single Salary Table, approved by Order no. 1553-C/2008 of December 31st, i.e. 2128,34 Euros.
7. Can apply to the tender any national, foreign and stateless candidate(s) who hold a doctorate degree in Earth Sciences, Geochemistry or related areas and have a scientific and professional curriculum indicating a suitable profile to the activities to be carried out, with experience in geochemical modelling and, preferably, with research experience on geological storage of CO2.
In the event the doctorate degree has been awarded by a foreign higher education institution, said degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 341/2007 of 12 October, and all formalities established therein must be complied with at the application deadline.
8. General tender admission requirements are those set by article 17 of LTFP and special requirements set by the previous section.
9. Pursuant to article 5 of RJEC, selection is to be made based on candidate scientific and curricular career evaluation.
10. Scientific and curricular career evaluation focuses on relevance, quality and up-to-dateness:
a) of scientific or technological production in the last five years, deemed most relevant by the candidate;
b) of research activities, applied or based on practical work, developed in the last five years, deemed most impactful by the candidate;
c) of knowledge extension and dissemination activities developed in the last five years, namely under the scope of the promotion scientific practices, deemed most relevant by the candidate;
d) of the activities of management of science, technology and innovation programmes, or the experience in observing and monitoring the scientific and technological, or higher education, system in Portugal.
11. The five-year period mentioned above can be extended by the panel, if requested by the candidate, whenever the suspension of scientific activities is reasoned by socially protected grounds like paternity leave, long-term serious illness, and other legal situations of unavailability to work.
12. The evaluation criteria are:
a) Scientific performance in the last five years,
b) Research activities developed in the last 5 years,
c) Activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed in the last five years,
d) Other relevant activities,
e) Interview the candidates admitted, by determination of the jury.
In the application of the mentioned criteria, the following parameters and weighting factors shall be evaluated:
Criterion a) with a weighting factor of 50%, which comprises
a1) Publications in scientific journals,
a2) Book chapters with ISBN.
Criterion b) with a weighting factor of 20%, which comprises
b1) Research Experience,
b2) Postgraduate Experience.
Criterion c) with a weighting factor of 10%, which comprises
c1) knowledge Transfer and Technology Experience
c2) Organization of conferences,
c3) experience in student supervision and participation as thesis examiner.
Criterion d) with 10% weighting factor.
Criterion e) public interview with weighting factor that can go up to a 10% increase in global weighting.
In all cases it will be given relevance to indicators and activities that fit in the area of Earth Sciences, especially in the themes referred to in point 1.
13. The interview referred to in point 12 may comprise a public presentation and discussion session by the candidates about the results of their research.
14. Candidate final classification system shall be given based on a scale of 0 to 100.
15. The panel shall deliberate by means of roll-call vote justified under adopted and disclosed selection criteria, with no abstentions allowed.
16. Minutes of panel meetings shall be executed and shall include a summary of all occurrences of said meeting, as well as of all votes cast by the members and respective reasoning, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
17. After selection criteria application, the panel shall prepare a sorted list of approved candidates and respective classification.
18. Panel’s final decision shall be validated by the leader of the institution, who is also in charge of deciding about the hiring.
19. Application formalization:
19.1. Applications are formalized upon application file, made available on the electronic page of Administrative Services of the University http://sadm.uevora.pt sent to the President of the Jury, including announcement identification (REFª ICT-03), full name, parents’ names, ID card, or Citizen Card number and date, or civil identification number, taxpayer ID number, date and place of birth, marital status, occupation, residence and contact address, including email address and telephone.
19.2. Applications shall include all supported documents encompassed by section 7 and 8 for tender admission, namely:
a) Certificate or diploma copy;
b) Doctorate thesis;
c) Curriculum vitae, detailed and structured pursuant to sections 10 and 12;
d) Other documentation
19.3. Candidates shall submit their application files and supporting documentation, preferably in a digital form, in PDF format, via email firstname.lastname@example.org, in person at Universidade de Évora – Divisão de Recursos Humanos (DRH), Serviços Administrativos, Largo da Sr.ª da Natividade, Apartado 94, 7002-554 Évora, Portugal, during working hours, or by mail to the address. When submitted by mail, applications must be sent by registered mail with acknowledgement of receipt sent until the last day of application deadline, which is hereby set as the period of 30 working days after the publication of this Announcement.
20. All candidates who formalize their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements
21. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
22. Both admitted and excluded candidate list and final classification list will be affixed at the website of http://www.sadm.uevora.pt and all candidates shall be notified by email with delivery receipt.
23. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: Pursuant to article 121 of the Administrative Procedure Code, after notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. Panel’s final decisions are pronounced within a period of 90 days, from application deadline.
24. This tender is exclusively destined to fill this specify vacancy and can be terminated at any time until approval of final candidate list, expiring with the respective occupation of said vacancy.
25. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: The University of Évora, actively promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
26. Pursuant to Decree-Law no. 29/2001 of 3 February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication/expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
December 10th 2018 – The Administrator of the University of Évora, Maria Cesaltina Frade