1. The board of SOCIUS – Research Centre in Economic and Organizational Sociology deliberated the opening of an international selection tender for one doctorate vacancy to perform duties of scientific research in the field of Sociology, under an undefined work contract regime pursuant to the Labour Code, for the maximum duration of six years, based on the execution of a specific service, precisely defined and not lasting, pursuant to the dispositions of article 6 numbers 1 a) and 3 of Decree-Law number 57/2016 of 29th August, updated by the Law 57/2017, of 19th July and to the Labour Code, under its current reading. The R&D activities to be carried out will be part of the workplan for the project CRiCity – Children and their right to the city: Tackling urban inequity through the participatory design of child friendly cities, funded by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia under AVISO Nº 02/SAICT/2017 and the contract with the reference PTDC/SOC-SOC/30415/2017 between Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, I.P. and SOCIUS – Research Centre in Economic and Organizational Sociology.
The CRiCity project main objective is to understand children's appropriation of urban public places in the two major Portuguese cities (Lisbon and Porto). Considering children as "experts", it aims to transpose this data into urban planning by fostering dialogue with the community and decision-makers in order to design possibilities for a child-friendly-city. The project planned duration is 36 months, starting on 01.10.2018.
2. Applicable Legislation:
a) Decree-Law no. 57/2016 of 29th August, which approved the doctorate hiring regime destined to stimulate scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (RJEC), with the amendments introduced by Law no. 57/2017 from 19th July, also considering the provisions of Regulatory Decree 11-A/2017, of 29th December;
b) Labour Code approved Law 7/2009 of 12th February, under its current reading.
3. Monthly remuneration to be paid is the remuneration set by article 15, number 1 of Decree-Law 57/2016 of 29th August and article 2, number 1 of Regulatory Decree 11-A/2017, of 29th December, corresponding to level 33 of the Single Salary Table, approved by Order 1553-C/2008 of 31st December, i.e. 2,128.34 Euros.
4. Workplace shall be at the facilities of SOCIUS – Research Centre in Economic and Organizational Sociology, in Lisbon, without prejudice to the necessary duty travels.
5. Any national, foreign and stateless candidate(s) for this job must meet the following requirements:
a) Hold a doctorate degree in Sociology and a scientific and professional curriculum that fits the project activities. In the event the doctorate degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, the degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law 341/2007 of 12th October, and all formalities established therein must be complied within the application deadline.
b) Have a postdoctoral research experience compatible with the category of scientific research career corresponding to the defined remuneration level.
c) Hold a higher education degree in Social Psychology and/or Psychology.
d) Hold previous research experience on issues related to the communities and people-place bonds.
e) Have developed scientific research on issues related to citizen participation and social inclusion.
f) Experience in the use of qualitative and collaborative research methods.
g) Experience in the organization of national and international transdisciplinary scientific meetings and events.
h) In-depth knowledge of the cities of Porto and Lisboa.
i) Proficient domain of Portuguese. Very good knowledge of English and French.
6. Pursuant to article 5 of RJEC, the selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific and curricular path of the candidates and their suitability to the description of the position whose work plan foresees the fulfilment of the following tasks:
a) Literature review, support in the drawing up of the overall theoretical framework, design of the research tools.
b) Data collection and analysis in Lisbon and Porto (undertaking ethnographic observation, qualitative interviews, and the use of ethnographic, child-centred and collaborative methodologies).
c) Production of scientific articles, book chapters, books and papers.
d) Design intervention proposals for child inclusion in urban planning in Lisbon and Porto.
e) Spillover Dissemination within the Community (scientific and non-scientific), through the participation in scientific national and international events, the organization of scientific meetings and the support to the dissemination of the project goals and outputs.
f) Support to the overall project coordination.
7. The post-doctoral scientific and curricular career evaluation focuses on the suitability to the project, relevance, quality and timeliness:
a) of scientific production in the last five years, deemed most relevant by the candidate, in topics related to the research to be developed in the tender position;
b) of research activities developed in the last five years, deemed most impactful by the candidate;
c) of knowledge extension and dissemination activities developed in the last five years, namely under the scope of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, deemed most relevant by the candidate.
8. The five-year period mentioned above can be extended by the panel, if requested by the candidate, whenever the suspension of scientific activities is reasoned by socially protected grounds like paternity leave, long-term serious illness, and other legal situations of unavailability to work.
9. Evaluation criteria are the following:
9.1. Candidates who present skills, CV and/or experience out of the scope defined in points 1 and 5 will be excluded.
9.2. The evaluation of the scientific and curricular path focuses on the suitability to the project, relevance, quality and timeliness:
a) of the scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production of the last five years considered more relevant by the candidate and adequate to the project to be developed, which is given a weighting factor of 70%; in the analysis of scientific production is considered publication (articles, books, chapters of books and other publications – being specially valued the publications in indexed journals of Quartile 1, the publication of book chapters in renowned international publishers and the publications as sole author, revealing the degree of autonomy of the researcher) and the participation in national and international scientific events.
b) of research activities, including applied or practice-based research, developed over the past five years and considered to be of greatest impact by the applicant and relevant to the project to be developed, which is given a weighting factor of 20%, including participation in national and international research projects; research experience with qualitative and collaborative research methods, with issues related with communities and people-place bonds and with issues related with social inclusion and citizen public participation and involvement; and participation in networks and international partnerships.
c) of the activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed in the last five years, namely in the context of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, considered of greater relevance by the candidate, which is given a weighting factor of 10%, including the organization of multipart collaborative workshops and of national and international transdisciplinary scientific meetings, working experience with various national and international publics and communities.
9.3. The evaluation process may include an interview or a public presentation or demonstration session by all or a few candidates to clarify aspects related to their research and has a maximum weight of 10% of the total evaluation.
9.4. Candidates final classification system shall be given based on a scale of 1 to 5 up to the decimal place and results from the application of the above mentioned weightings.
10. In accordance with article 13 of the RJEC, the selection panel is composed as follows:
President: Professor Doutor João Alfredo dos Reis Peixoto
Member: Professora Doutora Maria Isabel de Deus Mendes
Member: Professor Doutor Daniel Alexandre da Silva Seabra Lopes
11. The panel shall deliberate by means of roll-call vote justified under adopted and disclosed selection criteria, with no abstentions allowed. After selection criteria application, the panel shall prepare a sorted list of approved candidates and respective classification.
12. Minutes of panel meetings shall be executed and shall include a summary of all occurrences of said meeting, as well as of all votes casted by the members and respective reasoning, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
13. The jury reserves the right to not select applicants if the applicants do not have the adequate quality and profile in terms of absolute and relative merit.
14. Panel’s final decision shall be validated by the leader of the institution, who is also in charge of deciding about the hiring.
15. Application formalization:
15.1. Applications are formalized upon application letter, addressed to the President of SOCIUS – Research Centre in Economic and Organizational Sociology, elaborating on the motivations for applying to the vacancy. The application letter should also contains the identification of this notice, full name, number and date of identity card, Citizen Card, or civil identification number, tax identification number, date and place of birth, occupation, address, e-mail and telephone number.
15.2. The application shall include all supported documents encompassed by section 5 for tender admission, namely:
a) Certificate(s) copy(ies);
b) PhD thesis or equivalent document(s) that determined the award of the academic degree;
c) Curriculum Vitae, detailed and structured according to section 9. The works that the candidate considers most relevant and that allow to evaluate their relevance, quality, timeliness and suitability should be marked and a copy should be added;
d) Other relevant documents to the analysis of the application.
15.3. Candidates shall submit their application files and supporting documentation, preferably in a digital form, in PDF format, via email to [firstname.lastname@example.org]; in person at Rua Miguel Lupi, N.º 20, Office 203 – 1249-078 Lisboa, during working hours; or by mail to said address. When submitted by mail, applications must be sent by registered mail with receipt acknowledgement, sent until the last day of application deadline, which is hereby set as the period of 10 working days after the publication of this announcement [Deadline for application: 14/02/2019].
16. All candidates who formalize their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements.
17. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
18. Within a maximum period of 90 days from the application deadline, the panel´s final decisions are pronounced. All the candidates will be notified of the final selection decision by email with delivery receipt of the notification.
19. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: After notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond.
20. This tender is exclusively destined to fill this specific vacancy and can be terminated at any time until approval of final candidate list, expiring with the respective occupation of said vacancy.
21. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: SOCIUS – Research Centre in Economic and Organizational Sociology actively promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
22. Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, a disabled candidate has a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the above-mentioned diploma.
23. The board of SOCIUS – Research Centre in Economic and Organizational Sociology has approved this announcement in meeting held on 29/01/2019.