Open Call for a Research Fellowship in the Infrastructures for Scientific Research Projects
Title: Research Fellowship for MScs (1 position)
The Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência is welcoming applications for a Research Fellowship within the project 22231 with the title “"Biodata.pt – Infraestrutura Portuguesa de Dados Biológicos”, financed by FEDER, POCI, PORL, POA and national funds through FCT/MCTES (PIDDAC), with the following conditions:
1. Research Field: Bioinformatics, Informatics, Biologic Engineering and similar scientific fields
2. Admission Requirements: The candidate should hold a Master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Informatics, Biological Engineering, or related disciplines. Masters in Informatics or major graduation in Biology can be eligible. Candidates with experience in web design, python programing, SQL databases, and administration of Linux systems will be preferred. Good spoken and written English skills are mandatory.
3. Activities Plan:
The BioData.pt is the national Biological data infrastructure that serves the national tissue through advanced data management and analysis in bioinformatics. The selected candidate will work on the development and maintenance of the web portal CorkOakDB, an omic data management tool, which compiles and enables the visualization of genomic information about cork oak (Quercus suber) in BioData.pt project scope.
• Updating the database with the upcoming new version of the cork oak genome;
• Updating the portal to improve its appearance and usability;
• Developing and/or implementing new functionalities in the portal, including:
o An ontology browser featuring Gene Ontology and KEGG annotations
o The addition and visualization of orthologue relationships
o The addition and visualization of sequence features such as alternative splicing sites and known SNPs
o A browser for known cork oak genotypes (to add to the database)
o A browser for phenotypic information by genotype, enabled by a connection to the Portuguese BrAPI end-point
o A connection to the Galaxy platform for data analysis
• Managing the web portal, including management of automatized jobs queues and task requests, and management of user accounts.
4. Legislation Framework
A fellowship contract will be celebrated according to the regulations defined by FCT “Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources”, in accordance with Portuguese Decree-Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July. And also, by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation of 2013 approved by Regulation No. 234/2012, of June 25, as amended by Regulation No 326/2013 of 27 August 2013, in force (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2018.pdf and https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/FellowshipHolderStatute2013.pdf ).
5. Work Place: The work will be developed in the BioData.pt facilities with the Scientific Coordination of: Ricardo Leite and Daniel Faria (in IGC) and Marcos Ramos (in CEBAL)
6. Fellowship duration and activity conditions: the fellowship period is for 6 months renewable accordingly with the project funds availability. The grant is expected to start in June 2019. The grant fellow will work on an exclusive basis accordingly Fellowships Regulation of 2013.
7. Monthly Allowance The monthly allowance is 989,70€, as stipulated by FCT for research grants with Master’s degree (BI Master) in Portugal (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). It can be added the Social Security (Seguro Social Voluntário) reimbursement paid by the grant holder (optional). The payments will be made by bank transfer.
8. Selection procedure: 1st evaluation phase: CV evaluation (50%), motivation letter (30%) and reference letters (20%). 2nd evaluation phase: An interview to the 3 best evaluated candidates. The final score will be an weighted average of the 1st evaluation phase (60%) and the second evaluation phase (40%).
9. Jury alignment:
President: Ana Portugal Melo
1st Effective jury: Ricardo Leite
2nd Effective jury: Marcos Ramos
Substitute Jury: Daniel Faria e Pedro Fernandes
10. Announcement and results notification: All candidates admitted in the call will be notified by e-mail
11. Application deadline: The call is open between 2 and 16 April 2019
12. Application required documents: Motivation letter, Curriculum Vitae, Academic Certificates and transcripts; should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com in a single pdf document with the designation “CandidateName_BioData_CorlOak.pdf”. Two reference letters should be sent in a pdf document, directly by the referees to the same e-mail address referring “CandidateName_BioData_CorlOak_Referee Initials.pdf”