One Fellowship for PhD
One Fellowship for a PhD holder is open at the FCiências.ID – Associação para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento de Ciências, for the project/R&D institution ExLy - Novas Tendências em expoentes de Lyapunov, ref: PTDC/MAT-PUR/29126/2017, financed by national funds by FCT / MCTES (PIDDAC) under the Programme All Scientific Domains, under the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Mathematics
2. Requirements for admission: Portuguese nationals, foreign and stateless persons may submit applications to this selection procedure, provided they hold a doctoral degree in Mathematics or akin areas, have specialised skills and expertise in the fields of Dynamical Systems and/or Mathematical Physics.
3. Factors preferred: Demonstrated scientific experience related to the study of Lyapunov exponents in ergodic theory.
4. Work plan: The objectives of the work plan are to help the team achieving two or more of the following goals: (1) to derive large deviations estimates for linear cocycles, (2) to study the regularity of Lyapunov exponents of linear cocycles, (3) to extend the Avalanche Principle, (4) to study the spectral properties of Schrodinger operators and (5) to prove generic properties of billiards and geodesic flows. The work plan is included in tasks 1-5 of the project ExLy (PTDC/MAT-PUR/29126/2017).
5. Legislation framework: Statute of the Scientific Research Fellowship, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July; And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf) and FCiências.ID Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 23rd February 2017.
6. Place of work: The work will be developed at the at the facilities of Research Center CMAF-CIO, in Campo Grande, Lisbon, Portugal, under the scientific guidance of Professor Pedro Miguel Duarte.
7. Fellowship duration: This position is initially opened for 6 months and will begin any time between June 2019 and October 2019. The fellowship contract may be renewed to more 18 months, in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.
8. Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 1.509,80, according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
9. Selection method: Candidates will be assessed by the quality of their publications (65%) and by an assessment of the references provided by the candidate (25%). An interview will be made in case of candidates tied for first place (10%).
10. Selection Committee: President–Luís Eduardo Gouveia, 1st Evaluator–Pedro Miguel Duarte, 2nd Evaluator–João Lopes Dias, 1st Alternate Evaluator–Silvius Klein, 2nd Alternate Evaluator–José Pedro Gaivão.
11. Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the FCiências.ID, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
12. Deadlines: This call for applications is open from June 5 to 21, 2019.
13. Application: Applications may be sent via e-mail to email@example.com , by attaching the following documents: detailed curriculum vitae, research statement, a list of up to 5 publications relevant for the work plan. At least one letter of recommendation and degree certificate
NOTE: Please note that Degrees obtained in foreign countries need a Portuguese Recognition certificate issued by a Portuguese high degree Institution, according to the Decree-Law nr. 66/2018, of august 16th and the Ministerial Order nr. 33/2019, of January 25th. The presentation of such certificates is mandatory for contract signature. More information can be obtained in: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en/pagina/degree-and-diploma-recognition.