Researcher (m/f) ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE OPENING OF AN INTERNATIONAL SELECTION TENDER PROCEDURE FOR DOCTORATE HIRING
1. The Institute of Systems and Robotics (ISR) – Pole Coimbra, opens an international call for 1 doctoral position for the exercise of scientific research activities in the area of Engineering Sciences and Technologies, under an employment contract with uncertain term under the Labor Code, to carry out scientific research under the Strategic Research Program of ISR-UC, as a Researcher, equivalent to Principal Investigator, under the program contract ref. CEECINST / 00151/2018, entitled CEEC / INSTITUCIONAL, financed by FCT / MCTES.
Within the framework of the program contract referred above, the researcher to be hired must carry out research and development activities in the main area of Engineering Sciences and Technologies, scientific area of Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Informatics, scientific sub-area of Automation, Control and Robotics, and all other scientific and technical activities included in the ISR mission: https://www.isr.uc.pt/index.php/research-areas and:
a) Raising and participating in the preparation of research and development projects;
b) Coordinate and guide the execution of research and development projects;
c) Support the ISR-Coimbra Directorate in international collaboration and evaluation, particularly in the activities of the euRobotics AISBL association: https://www.eu-robotics.net/
d) Accompany the research work carried out by fellows, research trainees and research assistants and participate in their training;
e) Participate in advanced training programs of the institution related to its area of research.
2. Applicable Legislation
Decree-Law no. 124/1999, of 20 April.
Portuguese Labor Law, approved by Law nr 7/2009, from 12thFebruary in its current writing.
Articles 17, 19 and 28 of the REC, published in Diário da República under number 607-A / 2017, of November 22.
Financed by national funds through the FCT / MCTES and co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), namely under the following frameworks: “Projetos de Desenvolvimento e Implementação de Infraestruturas de Investigação inseridas no RNIE”; “Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização – POCI”, “Programa Operacional Centro2020”.
3. Members of the Jury: According to article 13 of RJEC, the selection panel shall be:
Aníbal Traça de Carvalho Almeida (Chairman of the Jury), Hélder de Jesus Araújo (vowel), Urbano José Carreira Nunes (vowel), Jorge Manuel Moreira de Campos Pereira Batista (vowel), and João Pedro Almeida Barreto (substitute vowel).
4. Place of work: Instituto de Sistemas e Robótica, Coimbra Pole, Departamento de Engenharia Electrotécnica e de Computadores, Rua Sílvio Lima, Pólo II da Universidade de Coimbra, 3030-290, Coimbra.
5. Monthly salary: The monthly remuneration to be awarded corresponds to the category of principal investigator of the scientific research career, according to Annex I of Decree-Law no. 124/99, of April 20 - index 220 (3,601.03 € gross monthly, 14 months year, plus Social Security and Insurance)
6. Applicants may be Nationals, Foreign and Stateless candidates who hold a doctorate degree in Electrical Engineering and should hold a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals a profile appropriate to the activity to be developed and demonstrates scientific independence in the last 3 years. The scientific independence of the candidate is defined by the originality, scientific capacity and international recognition and affirmation, or by doctoral and postdoctoral supervision, or by the ability to raise national and / or international funding. In case of doctorate degrees awarded by a foreign higher education institution, the degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 341/2007 of 12th of October, and all formalities established therein must be fulfilled by the deadline for application submission.
7. Admission requirements:
Admission requirements are to have:
7.1. a Doctoral degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, branch of specialization on Automation and Robotics or in similar areas to those developed in ISR-Coimbra: https://www.isr.uc.pt/index.php/research-areas;
7.2. at least 3 years of postdoctoral experience and demonstrate a research trajectory that is integrated in the ISR areas, namely: https://www.isr.uc.pt/index.php/research-areas;
7.3. experience in the participation and leadership of research projects and demonstrate ability to obtain national and foreign funds, public or private, in competitive competitions;
7.4. preferably experience in advanced training activities, particularly in the orientation of PhD students;
The candidates must submit a work plan in all identical to the one of the contest CEEC Individual(https://www.fct.pt/apoios/contratacaodoutorados/empregocientifico/docs/guiao_candidatura.pdf) and with the same time horizon. Briefly, the Work Plan should consist of:
- Background (Maximum 3 000 characters)
- Research plan and methods (Maximum 5 000 characters)
- Expected outcomes (Maximum 2 000 characters)
- Ethical issues (If applicable) (Maximum 2 000 characters)
- Compliance with the goals of the 2030 Agenda (Maximum 800 characters)
- References (Maximum 3 000 characters)
8. Evaluation criteria: The selection of the doctorate to be contracted will be carried out by the evaluation of the scientific and curricular trajectory of the candidate for the competitive position, taking into account:
- Curriculum vitae that should have the ORCID identification code, with a 50% weighting factor considering:
i) scientific production of the candidate, namely articles in peer-reviewed journals (referred in Journal Citation Report do ISI Web of Knowledge) and proceedings of international conferences. The jury will assess the scientific production taking into consideration the quality of the submitted items and their relevance to the field of the present call as well as the scientific and technological production considered more relevant by the candidates in the last five years;
ii) coordination and participation in research projects, being evaluating the presentation of approved and non-approved national and international applications and the execution of funded research projects;
iii) developing partnerships with industry or attracting private funding;
iv) capacity for coordination and leadership of research teams;
v) monitoring and guidance of doctoral students;
vi) acknowledgment by the international scientific community, namely international recognition of publications, translated into the number of citations in the SCOPUS database and h factor; scientific societies prizes; editorial activities in scientific journals; participation in editorial bodies of scientific journals; coordination and participation in program committees of scientific events and the holding of invited lectures in scientific meetings or in other institutions.
- Work plan with a 25% weighting factor considering the relevance and innovative nature of the proposed research plan (based on the state of the art in the scientific area and previous work done by the candidate); progress beyond the current state of the art; the clear identification of the mission and scientific challenges addressed by the research plan and its alignment with the objectives of Agenda 2030; the appropriateness of the methodology adopted, the feasibility of the work plan and the framework for the ISR R&D strategy.
- Interview, with a weight of 25%, can be made by Skype or teleconference.
9. The final classification system for candidates is expressed on a scale of 0 to 100.
10. The jury shall deliberate by means of a nominal vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published, and abstentions shall not be allowed.
11. The panel meetings will be documented in written minutes, containing a summary of what has taken place, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and their reasons, being provided to the candidates whenever requested.
12. After applying the selection criteria, the panel will prepare a sorted list of approved candidates with their classification. The panel has the right of not selecting any of the candidates.
13. The panel’s final decision shall be validated by the leader of the institution, who is also in charge of deciding about hiring.
14. Formalization of the applications:
14.1. Applications are formalized by sending a letter addressed to the President of the Jury, stating this announcement identification (Reference ISR-CEECINST/00151/2018), full name, parents’ names, number and date of identity card, Citizen Card, or civil identification number and date, taxpayer ID number, date and place of birth, marital status, occupation, residence and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
14.2. Applicants must clearly state to which position they are applying to.
14.3. The application shall include all supported documents encompassed by sections 7 and 8 for admission to this competition, namely: a) Copy of certificate or diploma; b) Doctorate thesis (digital format); c) Detailed curriculum vitae, structured in accordance with item 7; d) Other documents relevant for the evaluation of the qualification in related scientific area;
14.4. Candidates must submit their applications and supporting documents, by registered letter addressed to the President of the Jury to the address: Instituto de Sistemas e Robótica, Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, Rua Sílvio Lima, Pólo II da Universidade de Coimbra, 3030-290 Coimbra, Portugal until the last day of the tender opening period, which is set at 60 working days after publication of this announcement (until September 12th 2019).
15. All candidates who formalize their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements.
16. False statements by candidates shall be punished by law.
17. Both admitted and excluded candidate list and final classification list shall be posted at Instituto de Sistemas e Robótica - Departamento de Engenharia Electrotécnica e de Computadores, Pólo 2, Universidade de Coimbra, 3030-290, Coimbra and all candidates shall be notified by email.
18. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: After notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. Panel’s final decisions are pronounced within a period of 90 days, from application deadline.
19. The present tender is exclusively destined to fill the vacancy indicated and may be terminate until the homologation of the final ranking list of candidates and expires with the respective occupation of the job on offer.
20. ISR-Coimbra promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
21. Pursuant to Decree-Law nº 29/2001 of 3 February, disable candidates shall be preferred in a
situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication/expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
22. The selection of the candidate to be hired depends on the guidelines and regulations applicable by the Foundation for Science and Technology, and the verification of compliance with the administrative assumptions contained therein. The ISR reserves the right to cancel this tender if the assumptions are not assured.
23. Under the terms of the RU 2016/679 27/04/2016 and Law nº 67/98 26/10 the personal data collected by the entity is for recruitment purposes only. Personal data collected by the entity by means of this application are intended to assess whether candidates are suitable for the place requested and for the preliminary calculation of the remuneration, bonuses and perks of the candidates who are admitted to the recruitment. The data entered in the application are essential data in the weighting of the selection of candidates, which may affect the efficiency and the result of the respective application if the candidates do not provide them. Personal data of unsuitable candidates will be retained by the entity for a period of five years for subsequent recruitment. Applications for candidates may be transferred by the entity to its own premises or to the entities of the consortium where there are job openings during the abovementioned period. Candidates shall enjoy, in accordance with the law, the rights of access and rectification. For the exercise of the right of access, they must submit the request in writing to the person in charge of the entity.