1. At a meeting of the Board of Directors of ISPA, CRL, it was decided to open a call for the hiring of 1 PostDoctoral researcher to develop scientific research activities in the scientific field of Marine Biology, under an Undefinedterm contract of employment, under the Project “NEXTGEN - POTENTIAL FOR MULTIGENERATIONAL ACCLIMATION OF FISHES TO OCEAN WARMING AND ACIDIFICATION" with the references PTDC/CTA-AMB/31532/2017 and LISBOA-01-0145-FEDER-031532, funded by European Investment and Structural Funds (ESIF) – through Programa Operacional Regional de Lisboa and by National Funds through FCT.
2. Applicable Legislation:
-Decree Law nr. 57/2016, of August 29, amended by the Law Nr. 57/2017, of July 19 with the aim to stimulate the creation of jobs in science and technology, promote therejuvenation of institutions and enhance scientific research activities, technological development, science management and communication (RJEC).
-Código do Trabalho, approved Law nr. 7/2009, of February 12, on its current wording.
3. Jury Composition
The jury will be composed by:
President: Dr. Ana Margarida da Silva Faria;
Member: Professor Emanuel Gonçalves;
Member: Dr. Gonçalo Jorge Franco Silva.
Alternative Jury Member: Professor Joana Robalo
Alternative Jury Member: Dr. Frederico Almada.
4. The activities will be developed at ISPA-Instituto Universitário, located at Rua Jardim do Tabaco, 34, 1149-041 Lisboa, Portugal.
5. The monthly remuneration to be attributed is that provided in paragraph 1 of article 15 from Decree Law nr. 57/2016, of August 29, amended by the Law Nr. 57/2017 of July 19, , correspondent to level 33 of the single remuneration table (TRU) approved by Portaria nº 1553-C/2008, December 31, with the value of 2.128,34 Euros.
6. Job Description:
This position is dedicated to the accomplishment of experimental activities within the scope of the project “NEXTGEN – Potential for multiGENerational acclimation of fishes to ocean warming and acidification”, lead by Ana Margarida Faria. Marine organisms are currently facing the impacts of numerous stressors associated with anthropogenic global changes. There is mounting evidence that these stressors have already led to changes in species' distribution and community structure, raising concern that the rate and scale of these changes will limit species' capacity to adapt. However, recent studies suggest that marine species might keep up with rapid environmental change through genetic evolution and/or phenotypic plasticity, the later being particularly important, as it may provide time for genetic adaptation to catch up over the longer term. Phenotypic plasticity can occur within a generation - reversible and developmental plasticity - or across generations - transgenerational plasticity. Transgenerational plasticity (TGP), which occurs when the environment experienced by parents influences offspring phenotypes, can be an effective mechanism to buffer populations against rapid environmental changes. However, we have little knowledge about how long the benefits of TGP persist and experiments covering at least 2 generations are necessary to fully understand the extent of the plastic response. The proposed research will significantly contribute to fill this gap by investigating the potential of fish to acclimate, through developmental and/or transgenerational plasticity, to future global changes. The strategy will be to run a multigenerational experiment on a temperate fish species, the two-spotted goby, and use physiological, molecular, behavioural and whole-organism indicators of stress as endpoints. Specifically, the impacts on 1) parental care and reproductive output (task 2); 2) expression of reproduction-associated genes and steroid hormones (task 3); 3) juvenile growth and survival (task 4); 4) juvenile social behaviour (task 5) and 5) metabolic rates (task 6), will be assessed in two generations.
The selected candidate will actively be involved in all these tasks, as well as data analysis, preparation of manuscripts and scientific reports, in addition to dissemination activities.
7. Applicants to this call can be national, foreign and stateless candidates who hold a doctoral degree in Biological Sciences and/or akin scientific fields. Furthermore, they must be holders of a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals a profile appropriate to the activity to be developed. If the doctorate degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law nr. 341/2007, of October 12, and nyl formalities established there must be fulfilled by the starting date of the contract.
8. The requirements for admission to competition are:
General: Doctoral degree in Biology, Ecology, Marine/Aquatic Sciences or akin scientific fields, with experience in Marine Biology and/or Marine Ecology and Climate Change
Specific: The candidate must have experience and skills in: design, preparation and maintenance of experimental set-ups; maintenance of live marine organisms in laboratory conditions; design of behavioural and physiological experiments; data processing and statistical analysis. The candidate must have a record of publications of merit in one of the areas mentioned above. It will also be valued experience in activities of scientific dissemination, project management and writing and submission of research projects.
9. Pursuant to article 5 from Decree Law nr. 57/2016, of August 29, amended by the Law Nr. 57/2017 of July 19, the selection is to be made based on the candidate’s scientific and curricular evaluation.
10. The evaluation of the scientific and curricular achievements will focus on the relevance, quality and timeliness of the scientific production and scientific activities carried out in the last five years, including those concerning the extension and dissemination of knowledge, considered by the candidate to be of greater relevance.
11. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be extended by the jury, upon request of the candidate, when justified on grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, in particular for reasons of parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work that are legally protected.
12. Evaluation criteria are:
a) Proven work experience in the research field correspondent to the position (50%);
b) Variety and quality of scientific indicators, including relevant publications articles, books and book chapters in the scientific field correspondent to the position (40%);
c) Interview, if deemed necessary (10%);
13. The evaluation process may include an interview to the top 3 eligible candidates with the highest score according to the selection criteria which is meant to further clarify their research and share information about their background.
14. The final classification system of the candidates is expressed in a scale of 0-100.
15. The jury shall deliberate by means of a roll-call vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published, and abstentions are not allowed.
16. Minutes of the meetings of the jury are drawn up containing a summary of what has taken place in them together with an ordered list of approved candidates with their respective classification according to eligibility and selection criteria, which are made available to the candidates upon request.
17. The final decision of the jury will be approved by the President of the Board of Directors of ISPA, CRL.
18. Formalization of applications:
18.1 Applications should be formalized through a written request to the Board of Directors of ISPA, stating the identification of this notice, full name, filiation, Citizenship / Civil Identification Number, Expiry date of ID Card, Tax Identification Number, date and place of birth, marital status, profession, residence and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
18.2 The application shall be accompanied by support documents including those proving the conditions laid down in items 7, 8 and 9 , and required for admission to this competition, namely:
a) Copy of PhD certificate or diploma;
b) PhD thesis, or link to published PhD thesis;
c) Detailed curriculum vitae;
d) Other documents relevant for the evaluation of the qualification in related scientific area;
18.3 Applications should be submitted by sending the application and supporting documents, digitally in PDF format, to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org (CC email@example.com) from the 26th of June until the 22nd of July of 2019.
19. Candidates who formalize their application incorrectly or who do not meet the specific requirements for this competition will be excluded from admission to the competition. The jury has the power to ask any candidate, in case of doubt, to submit extra documents proving his/her statements.
20. False statements by candidates shall be punished by law.
21. The final results of the evaluation will be provided in a list with the ordered rankings of the candidates. All candidates will be notified via email.
22. Prior hearing and deadline for the Final Decision: Pursuant to article 121 of the Code of Administrative Procedure, after being notified, the candidates have 10 working days to appeal. Within a period of up to 90 days from the deadline for submission of applications, the final decisions of the jury are given.
23. The present competition is exclusively intended to fill in the vacancies indicated and may be terminated until the final list of candidates is approved and expired with their respective occupation of the job on offer.
24. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: ISPA, CRL actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, disadvantaged or deprived of any right or exemption from any duty due to, in particular, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs, and trade union membership.
25. Under the terms of DL No. 29/2001, of February 3, candidates with disability have a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of incapacity, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma, on the application form.
26. In case the selected candidate accepts the position, signs the contract and afterwards resigns, the jury may invite for the position other applicant according to the final ranking list order.