A position is opened for a Post-Doctoral Research Grant under the project “SENSECOR – Immunosensory integrated system for a fast and efficient detection of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2” / at Centre for Environmental and Marine Studies (CESAM), nº 049256, funded by the programme “Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização”, supported by FEDER, addressing the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Immunochemistry, Biotechnology
2. Admission Requirements:
- PhD in Biochemistry (Immunochemistry), Molecular Biotechnology, Bioengineering or related areas (mandatory);
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in immunochemistry: characterization of antibody-antigen interaction, immunoassays (e.g., ELISA) (mandatory);
- Consolidated experience in separation, purification and biochemical analysis of proteins / antibodies / antigens (e.g., chromatography, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, HPLC-/LC-MS) (mandatory), and proteomics;
- The candidate must be autonomous, committed, proactive, critical, and have a high capacity for carrying out / adapting / optimizing experimental procedures in the laboratory (mandatory);
- History of scientific publications in high impact journals within the scientific areas of this call.
If the qualification has been granted by a foreign higher education institution, it will have to be recognized by a Portuguese higher education institution, under the terms of the article 25 of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of 16 August, which approves the legal regime for the recognition of academic degrees and diplomas of Higher Education, awarded by foreign higher education institutions, and of item e) of paragraph 2 of article 4 of Decree-Law no. 60/2018, of August 3, and any formalities established there must be completed by the date of the contracting act.
3. Elegibility: Candidates who have obtained a doctorate degree less than three years ago and who comply with the provisions of paragraph 2 of article 2 of the Research Fellow's Statute are eligible, as amended by Decree-Law no. 123 / 2019, of August 28, and also the regime established in article 8 of the Regulation of Scientific Research Grants of the University of Aveiro. 3 - BIPDs can only be granted as long as the following requirements are cumulatively verified:
a) The doctoral degree has been obtained in the three years prior to the date of submission of the application to the scholarship;
b) The post-doctoral research is carried out in a host organization other than the one where the research work that led to the award of the doctoral degree was developed;
c) Research activities do not require postdoctoral experience;
d) The research activities have a development and execution term equal to or less than three years;
e) The fellow does not exceed, with the conclusion of the scholarship contract in question, including possible renewals, an accumulated period of three years in this type of scholarship, consecutive or interpolated.
4. Work plan: Protein extraction and purification; analysis of the interaction between antibodies and SARS-CoV-2 antigens, using different techniques and immunoassays. Support other scientific or technical work within the project, as well as contribute to the daily management and maintenance of the laboratory.
5. Applicable legislation and regulations: Statute of the Scientific Research Fellow, in the wording given by Decree-Law No. 123/2019, of 28 August; Regulation of Scientific Research Scholarships at the University of Aveiro, Regulation No. 292/2020, published in Diário da República No. 61, 2nd Series, of 26 March; Decree-Law No. 66/2018, of 16 August (Legal regime for the recognition of academic degrees and diplomas of higher education awarded by foreign higher education institutions).
6. Workplace: The work will be developed at CESAM and at the Biology Department of the University of Aveiro, under the scientific guidance of Doctor Catarina R. Marques, Assistant Researcher.
7. Grant period: The scholarship will have a duration of 6 months, starting on the 1st of January 2021, and may be renewable for an equal period of time or variable, up to the limit of the project execution.
8. Monthly maintenance allowance amount: The amount of the scholarship corresponds to € 1,600.00, according to the table of monthly maintenance subsidies, set out in Annex III of the Regulation for Scientific Research Grants of the University of Aveiro, plus a refund of the amount of the Voluntary Social Insurance.
9. Selection methods: The selection methods to be used are mentioned below, with the respective valuation presented for each one of them:
- Evaluation of the Curriculum vitae (80%);
- Interview (20%)
The Curriculum evaluation component will consider the candidate's research experience and its suitability for the activities and techniques to be performed. The jury reserves the right to invite the three candidates with the highest score in the Curriculum evaluation component to conduct an interview that can be done in person or remotely, via skype or other appropriate means.
10. Composition of the Jury: The Jury is composed by Catarina R. Marques (President of the Jury, Principal Investigator of SENSECOR, Assistant Researcher), Amadeu Soares (1st effective member, Full Professor), Artur Alves (2nd effective member, Assistant Professor with Aggregation), Filipe Silva (1st alternate member, Assistant Professor), Petia Georgieva (2nd alternate member, Assistant Professor).
11. Application deadline and form of submission: The call is open from the 29h of October to the 12th of November, and applications are only allowed within the established deadline. Applications must be formalized by sending a letter of application accompanied by the following documents: (i) Curriculum Vitae, (ii) letter of motivation, (iii) at least one reference letter, (iv) certificate of qualifications and other supporting documents deemed relevant. You should also indicate the e-mail address to which, by that indication, you agree to be notified for all purposes under this procedure.
Applications must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Application BIPD-V2_SENSECOR”.
12. Form of publicity / notification of the results: The results of the evaluation are disclosed within a maximum period of 60 working days from the end of the submission of applications, by notifying the candidates. Candidates are informed, in the context of a prior hearing, under the terms enshrined in the Code of Administrative Procedure, of the draft decision, and may, within 10 working days from this notification, comment on this decision.
Universidade de Aveiro, 15 de outubro de 2020
Catarina Ribeiro Marques