One Special Regime Research Fellowship
One Special Regime Research Fellowship is open at FCiências.ID – Associação para a Investigação e o Desenvolvimento de Ciências, in the framework of the European Research Council project “MEDEA-CHART: The Medieval and Early-Modern Nautical Chart: Birth, Evolution and Use”(Grant Agreement ERC-STG-714033), under the following conditions:
1) Scientific area: History of Science and Technology, History of Cartography, History of Navigation.
2) Requirements for admission:Applicants need to have completed a Master’s degree on any field upon application, or alternatively, to hold a first degree and a highly relevant academic or scientific curriculum, attesting to their ability to carry out studies leading to a PhD degree. Applicants should reside in Portugal for the whole duration of the fellowship.
3) Factors of preference:
a) Experience in historical research, particularly in the fields of the History of Science, History of Cartography and History of Navigation;
b) Knowledge of Portuguese;
c) Knowledge of other Romanic languages, including Latin;
d) Knowledge of computer programming.
4) Work plan: the fellowship holder will be integrated in the PhD program of “History and Philosophy of Sciences” of the Faculty of Sciences - University of Lisbon (FCUL), which is expected to start in February 2018 and has a maximum duration of four years. The research work is to be carried out in the framework of the European Research Council project “MEDEA-CHART”, under the scientific supervision of Dr. Joaquim Alves Gaspar. Detailed information is available here: History and Philosophy of Science PhD Programme.
5) Legislation framework: Statute of the Scientific Research Fellowship, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July; and also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force. See: Regulamento de Bolsas de Investigação FCT 2015 and FCiências.ID Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 23 February 2017.
6) Place of work: The work will be developed in the premises of Faculdade de Ciências - Universidade de Lisboa (FCUL), in Lisbon, Portugal. The fellowship holders may have to do research work in national and international libraries, archives, etc., as required.
7) Fellowship duration: The fellowship will begin on 1 February 2018, or as soon as possible thereafter, and has an initial duration of twelve months. The total duration of the fellowship is four years but may be extended until the end of the MEDEA-CHART project (March 2022), after the PhD degree is successfully obtained; in accordance with the provisions of the “Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.”
8) Monthly allowance: The fellowship includes a monthly stipend of 1450 euros for first degree candidates and 1495 euros for candidates with a master degree and the costs with the PhD annual tuition fees through the assignment of a PhD Support Fellowship (BAD). The fellowship holder will also have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme, can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme pursuant to the “Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social”. The allowances will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
10) Selection Committee: Dr. Joaquim Alves Gaspar (president), Prof. Henrique Leitão (member), Prof. Ana Simões (member) and Prof. Cláudio Castelo (substitute member).
11) Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will be made public by 8 December 2017, in the form of an ordered list of final grades that will be posted at the entrance hall of FCiências.ID, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 building - 3rd Floor, Campo Grande, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa. The candidates will be notified of the results by e-mail.
12) Deadlines: This call for applications is open from 16 October to 26 November 2017.
13) Application: Applications are to be sent via e-mail, to email@example.com, and should include the following documents:
a) A Curriculum vitae, including an early achievement track-record and a list of published works (up to 1500 words);
b) A Letter of Motivation, including a proposal for a research work plan, consistent with the objectives of MEDEA-CHART project, as described in the Annex of the present call (up to 1500 words);
c) Certificates of all academic degrees;
d) Letters of recommendation (up to two).